Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

**warning** bad plug wires**

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zach81
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: **warning** bad plug wires** Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just to let you guys know me and my dad put new plug wires on our 310b as it had a bad mis matched set and it had a slight misfire. Went to our local Rural King and got a set of those Tisco brand cut to fit sets. Got them installed and started it up. It ran worse than ever!! Ended up shutting the lights out in the barn and it looked the the fourth of July on those new wire ends arcing to the head. We moved them with a screwdriver and it smoothed out. I dont know if we can take them back, but I sure hope so, cause these are junk out of the box.

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: **warning** bad plug wires** Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zach: Electric will take the easiest path. If the spark was jumping through the insulation, then I'd say you had plug problems. My plug recommendation on the 310B is Autolite 3116. They are Non-Resistor.

C. Amick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: **warning** bad plug wires** Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try Brillman.com the next time you need electrical components. I've not had any problems with their plug wires and prices are good.

Klyde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: **warning** bad plug wires** Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, My brother got a set at TS when we redid the 311 and had the same problem. The wire is alright its the boots they put on the ends. The chinamen don"t use silicone for the boots they use some plastic with a lot of carbon in it.

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: **warning** bad plug wires** Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John, I recently had the same experience with that brand of wire set. As the other poster said, the problem is the boots, the electricity lights them up and as he said, a lights out look at the side of the tractor was just a mass of current leakage from the boots to the clips and through the spark plug ends to the block. It is definately a wire problem, I was working with a new head replacement on a 770 so all my components were brand new.

mEl

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: **warning** bad plug wires** Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zach81 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:49:15 01/02/12) Just to let you guys know me and my dad put new plug wires on our 310b as it had a bad mis matched set and it had a slight misfire. Went to our local Rural King and got a set of those Tisco brand cut to fit sets. Got them installed and started it up. It ran worse than ever!! Ended up shutting the lights out in the barn and it looked the the fourth of July on those new wire ends arcing to the head. We moved them with a screwdriver and it smoothed out. I dont know if we can take them back, but I sure hope so, cause these are junk out of the box.

Did you install the ends properly? Did you solder them on? I've installed those wires on 3 different Farmalls I own and never had an issue on any of them.

Zach81
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: **warning** bad plug wires** Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. Its not the end you make on the distributor that is the
problem. Its the pre made plug boots that are bad

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: **warning** bad plug wires** Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zack, I have made a living out of doing mechanical work on Case equipment since 1962 full time and do not consider myself uneducated about electronics / electrical stuff. I hold a federal license in Amateur Radio having passed the Advanced class licensing requirements which require testing on electrical / elecrtonic theory.

I have made hundreds of wire sets over the years and have used this brand of wire set for years. The last set I used as you described the boots literally lit up with red sparklies where the current was flowing to the clips and jumping to the block just as you described, simply sliding the boot up the wire away from the tower would stop the miss. This is definately an issue with the boots. This is the first time I had any issue with the wire sets. I strip out about 1/4 inch of copper and fold it over, do not solder but do not object to it if you want to. It is still a snap fit in the cap and on the plug and the center of the brass wire end has a spike that goes right up into the conductor. 20,000 -30,000 volts will not be impeded because of lack of being soldered, a properly applied wire end will show no Ohms resistance.

In the automotive world the resistance wire used has a few hundred ohms per foot and the engines run just fine, do not consider this a recommendation for resistance wire, just sayin. Remember, everyone on here is trying to help but have not experienced what you and I have. Those boots are definately conductive, I was forced to use good old boots and no problems once they were installed....mEl

Last edited by mEl on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters