Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

D17 Diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jddrawbar
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: D17 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A local D17 with the Buda diesel is for sale & the owner claims only 234 were built. I'm not a AC guy, but that doesn't seem right to me. Anybody have that info handy.....I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: D17 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All D17 Diesels had Allis Chalmers D262 engines in them. Buda engines ceased being Budas when A-C bought Buda in the early '50s. Yes, the basic engine design descended from the earlier Buda design, but did not carry the Buda name.
There were several thousand diesels made.
Now if that engine had a Turbo engine on it from the factory, it would be one of a few D17 cotton picker tractors that had larger engines in them, and were very low in quantity produced.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: D17 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Figure I see, in Swinford's book, was 350 tractors with the 230, from 181341. Wording is a little subjective, could be taken to mean a couple different things. Those 350, mentioned in the book, were made in 1953. But from my experience, AC would often run the line setup, till they ran out of parts, for a particular line, then start up again, with the 262.

jddrawbar
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked on Tractor Data and found 84,914 total D17's made.....of that 12,284 were diesels. That seems more in line with what I suspected. Thanks for the help.

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Except the D17 itself did not exist until 1957. The ones with the 230 Diesel were WD45's. I do not think they were available with the Diesel until later than 1953, maybe late 1954 or early 1955, about the same time Power steering became available.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6509 WD45 diesels were built, starting October, 1954. Produced til 1957. 83,842 non-diesels were built.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whoops, reread post! I was commenting on WD-45 diesel, not D-17, let me make that clear. I don't believe there were any 230 Budas, in a D-17, unless somebody has done some tinkerin!

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: D17 Diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, according to Swinfords book, all 350 230 Budas went into WD-45"s made in 1953. I think that there might be a few WD-45"s, with the 262, don"t know if they are original, or transplants, from a later D-17! Problem is, is that some dealers would hold onto inventory, that didn"t sell! we have a 1957 D-14, that was sold as new, in 1963, I believe!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters