Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

70 series brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve il
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: 70 series brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when turning the steering wheel applies the brakes, ive been told by some mecanics that the brake housing is bad and must be replaced. others say it is repairable. what are you guys experiences? thanks Steve

turbo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 70 series brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I assume it has power brakes. The boost spools in
the brake valve are stuck. Remove the brake lines
from the front of the brake valve by using a 3/4
inch wrench to banjo bolt. Do not loose the 2 copper
gaskets. Use a 7/8 wrench to remove the next
fitting. The boost spool is next and there is a
spring behind it. Use a snap ring plier to remove
and free spools.

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 70 series brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

steve il wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:11:00 03/04/12) when turning the steering wheel applies the brakes, ive been told by some mecanics that the brake housing is bad and must be replaced. others say it is repairable. what are you guys experiences? thanks Steve

The advice given is right on, however there is a reason generally why the spool gets sticky. Contamination is getting past the filters and getting to the affected spools from dirty filters or missing bypass reliefs in the bottom of the filters.

I would change the filters and check that the relief cartridges are in place as I have seen many that were missing as they were stuck in the old removed filters and not in place to stop oil from bypassing the new filter. If it has been a considerable time since a complete oil change has been done on the tranny I highly recommend that you do so.

In my opinion only Hy Tran Ultra should be used in this system, others will disagree but I have worked for the same dealer a few months less than 50 yrs and have first hand repaired the results of "will work oils". The Gent who had to replace every lined disc in his 1370 will not disagree with me but many will. I have made a living giving good service and advice so have a thick skin when it comes to criticism.

mEl

Last edited by mEl on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 70 series brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mEl as always great advise on the Hy-Tran use I completely agree the small amount of money saved by using a "cheaper" oil is not even close to the repairs that can come from using them vs the Hy-Tran oil, all of my 40 plus tractors of mine that I use regularly all have Case oil them from front to back I have never had a oil related problem and as you said I also have close to 50 years with Case equipment in service and sales cnt

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 70 series brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is what we did on a 1070 my son bought that had sat for about 10 years!

turbo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 70 series brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was leaving for church and I knew that there was
plenty of good help to finish Steve il with his
tractor needs. This is a great forum.

Brokengun
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 70 series brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm the one that had to replace ever fiber disc in the 1370.

I purchased what I thought was a cherry 1370. I replaced the oil with oil that I use in my 930's for convenience.

I thought I was using Premium oil and not some cheap stuff. I even asked the local dealer that sold me the oil if it was rated for the 1370 case

Needless to say the oil I used was not cheap it actually is only a few dollars cheaper than Hytran Ultra. My nearest case dealer is 43 miles away my oil supplier is 3.

Here is what I learned

Hytran has NO zinc in it and does not create corrosion in hydraulic systems like other oils.

Hytran also has the ability to absorb/disperse water up to 1% of the volume of oil.

I learned a costly lesson by not using Hytran Ultra.

In my defense it was ignorance on my part, like I said, I thought I was using premium oil.

Since my lesson I have learned that there are 70 series tractors out there with 7-8000 hrs on them that have never been touched.

The difference is Hytran Ultra!

steve il
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 70 series brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks everybody for your help. i have also found filters with the bypass valve thrown away.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters