Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Garage door torsion spring

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob - MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sure this will bring some interesting responses.

I wonder how many guys here have ever installed a new torsion spring on a garage door. I have done it several times now and although not a door professional, I am a careful worker and I have the correct installation tools. I bought a set of winding bars that fit the sockets in the spring correctly.

There's lots of cautions all over the internet about not attempting this yourself. I even got a lecture from a young woman at Home Depot when I asked her if they carry torsion springs (they don't).

My daughter's door spring broke and I repaired it in about 2 hours for $45.00. Menard's did not have the correct spring so I got it from a local door repair shop.

Work carefully and use common sense. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work then call a professional.

Cliff Nelson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not a bad job with the right tools and knowledge. I've replaced them on a couple doors. Got the springs from the place that originally installed the doors.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob - MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:21:49 04/04/12) I'm sure this will bring some interesting responses.

I wonder how many guys here have ever installed a new torsion spring on a garage door. I have done it several times now and although not a door professional, I am a careful worker and I have the correct installation tools. I bought a set of winding bars that fit the sockets in the spring correctly.

There's lots of cautions all over the internet about not attempting this yourself. I even got a lecture from a young woman at Home Depot when I asked her if they carry torsion springs (they don't).

My daughter's door spring broke and I repaired it in about 2 hours for $45.00. Menard's did not have the correct spring so I got it from a local door repair shop.

Work carefully and use common sense. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work then call a professional.
Whatever the job might be, there are always a bunch of nay sayers out there telling us the dangers, we shouldn't do it, hire a "professional", etc., etc., but I always tell then that who ever that person may be, he had to have done the job the first time, too. Wink

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've found it to be cheaper and a lot quicker to just call the local Overhead Door than to fix yourself. I don't even think about doing it myself.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some brands of doors come with a worm gear tensioner that you can use a drill to tension, almost idiot proof! I have worked on doors for 40 years so I will tackle anything. On my tractor shed I made a 5 panel out of 2 old 4 panel, ended up 104 inches high. You weigh the door in the down position with no springs and measure the height and then get a prescription spring, works good.

retired farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is not rocket science,just becareful the bars don't slip out when winding it up.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tore down a small basement barn,(and most of the foundation) and built a new storage barn over the same site. I ended up with about 15' of clearance, so a 14' door fit nicely. The door man for a local builder had no problem selling me a 14'x22' door. His crew/delivery guys didn't think it was possible for an untrained novice to install it! I built a rugged header, and nailed some boards permanently where I can comfortably sit and wind. Wife says it will be 15 years ago this summer. I can't believe it.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did many of them when I worked for Tracker Marine and had them break all the time in the factory in Lebanon MO. Saw many a bar go flying also when working on them and yep to see it happen will scare the heck out of you. Had one go right out the side if the building one time and sure was glad it hit the building and not a person

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a thought- I heard a while back to help prevent torsion springs from breaking as quick, oil the springs. The theory is as the coils tightly rub against each other they momentarily stick to each other causing extra stress. I've been oiling mine for several years, didn't think it would hurt.

FarmerHR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not a professional by any means. Over the yeare, I have replaced at least a dozen torsion springs for family members. I fabricated the winding bars out of drill rod . They are about 16 inches long.
I am carefull to work from the side in case something happens and the bars let loose. So far everything has gone fine.
I too oil the springs to prevent rusting etc. Since I started doing this, the springs are lasting much longer. I suspect the rust pits were causing stress risers which caused the springs to fail earlier.
It is a dangerous job that requires a good plan of attack and very carefull working practices.
Thank You !

farmerjohn
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I installed my first doors in 1996, we had several sizes of doors and being inexperienced I grabbed the wrong spring, it was for a larger door than we were installing. Wound it up according to the chart and when released the door flew up and knocked me off the stepladder to the ground and I broke my ankle. Since them have installed many doors and have been much more cautious including ALWAYS lock the door closed before winding the spring and yes, the ones that wind with a drill are much easier and safer.

Rollie NE PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My own little story about garage door springs. Not trying to steal your post. I was running cables thru my garage door springs so when they break they don't damage our cars. The garage doors are down which means the springs are stretched. When I reached to fish the cable thru the spring, I lost my balance and I grabbed the spring with both hands to avoid falling. Well the spring broke and retracted to it's normal position,with both hands firmly attached (pinched) in the coils of the spring. I ripped them free and ran outside to stick them in the snow to help reduce swelling and bleeding. Hurt like He!!. It wasn't funny at the time but I laugh every time I think about it.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have installed several doors myself and also tighten up the springs too. I try to be really cautious ! When our springs break I usually call the door guys as they have the spring in bulk and cut it to fit.

Bob - MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great responses!

I too oil my springs and the life has been significantly extended. .

I agree that there's fear brokers everywhere that tell you not to do things yourself. I enjoyed the comment that pointed out that every professional was new on the job one day!

Stay safe!

Bob

bjb in TX from Ne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Garage door torsion spring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the advice of if you don't feel comfortable call a professional is good for many of the "dangerous" activities around the house. I normally do my own house wiring, but wanted a bigger box put in (125A 20 slot to 200A 30 slot). I didn't feel comfortable messing with the meter so a had it quoted. The electrician who put the box in did it cheaper (labor+box) than I could have bought the box.

I would probably call a door professional for three reasons:

a) I don't have the correct tools

b) I don't have the correct knowledge

c) I had a bad experience with an antique clock spring when i was young.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters