Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 851 paint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cjet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a Ford 851, #23596. I believe this is a 1958. what are the correct paint colors to use? Here is how it looked when we got it.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty fair tractor. That color scheme is correct for an 801.
If you are looking for paint codes I can't help you there. We just use Valspar's Restoration Series paint with the hardener and it comes in pretty close to "correct" colors.
The one thing I would add is don't paint the tires this time Smile

Cjet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So your saying Grey is not the correct color for the tires.
I'm looking for the correct name. like Vintage Red, Vermillion Red, Light grey, or Medium Grey. This tractor is more orange looking. Also should the nose cone be red or grey?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dennis Carpenter sells it by the right shade of red. You want the '58-63 red orange, not the vermilion, and you want the light gray. There are many sources that differentiate whereas CNH does not.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I think the color scheme you have is correct.
The valance, "egg crate grill", center hood/door and dash area should be red like the chassis. Side hoods, fenders, and wheels should be gray.
Lots of good folks here though so I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will chime in with paint numbers if you ask.
I kind of follow the blue ones more but have a general idea of what is correct on most of them.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why do the rear fenders stick up so high above the tires? Is there a horseshoe shaped weight that fits over the rear axle under them?
There was no official name for the orange-red color that Ford started using when the X01 tractors were introduced in late 1957. And the nose cone should be red.

GlenIdao

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 801 series tractor was the first to get the new orange red paint. New Holland continues to sell their paint using the following number; M1J-956-SE_ for the red and M1J-957-SE_ for the gray. TISCO also sells a paint that is supposed to match. #310 for the Red and @240 for the grey.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked at that too and concluded he's running 11.2 - maybe 12.4 tires.

Cjet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This tractor had 11.2x28's, We have a spare set of 14.9 x 28's to put on.

DollarBill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 851 paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are some more paint code options for you:

1958-1961

Grey (light)
CNH: M1J-957-SE5DS
Tisco: TP240
Van Sickle: 465
Ncomplete: LP-4862GPA

Red (orange)
Ford Paint Code: M1J-438
CNH: M1J-956-SE5DSLF
Van Sickle: CML-5024 or 479
Tisco TP2822
Ncomplete: LP-5862RPA

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters