Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

861 Fuel Gauge Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bond
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: 861 Fuel Gauge Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I got my 861, the fuel gauge was not working. Bought all the manuals and according to the shop manual, the 6 volt has an ammeter and the 12 volt has the fuel gauge. My tractor is 6 volt. The owners manual shows a fuel gauge on the 6 volt console. Ok, the setup on my gauge is identical to the 12 volt wiring in the manual except my white wire with the fuseholder isn't hooked to anything. Well, I figured I give it a shot and use a light gauge jumper to the terminal block just to see if the fuel gauge actually works. As soon as the key was turned on, the jumper heated up and smoked the insulation. I took it off and no damage to anything else. Tractor still starts and lights work. Any idea what could cause this? Could be why it wasn't hooked up when I got it. Could a bad sending unit do this? I've included a few pics to show you my setup and the wiring diagrams from the manual. I'm pretty sure it's wired correctly. Thanks AGAIN! Tom

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 861 Fuel Gauge Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All 801 series tractors had a fuel gauge. The Gas tractors were 6V and Diesels were 12V. The gauges and sending units have different part numbers for 6V or 12V. I have never seen an original working fuel gauge on a 801.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: 861 Fuel Gauge Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ditto on all *01 series having fuel gauges. *00 series had ammeters.

You must have a direct short to ground somewhere. I would think it would more likely be in the gauge itself, but it could be anywhere in that circuit, I guess.

Last edited by Larry NCKS on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Bond
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 861 Fuel Gauge Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you guy's say makes sense. Looking at the 1st. picture again, the wires are connected right on the stud to the mounting bracket. I ll pull it apart when I get home to make sure that in itself isn't grounding the whole thing. I'll start by disconnecting the leads and checking to ground, component by component, wire to wire. Is there supposed to be some sort of isolation washer behing the back of the mounting bracket and the gauge itself? Thank You.

Jimmyjack
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 861 Fuel Gauge Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never thought about it before, but I have a 1955 861 that does not have a fuel guage? No signs that it ever did either.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 861 Fuel Gauge Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it"s a 1955 model it"s an 860 and it had an ammeter and no fuel gauge. If it"s an 861 it"s a 1958-1962 model and it had a fuel gauge and a charge indicator light.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 861 Fuel Gauge Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just looked at your photo and you are correct- the wire is connected to the fuel gauge mounting stud which is definitely a direct short to ground and will melt any wire!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters