Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

5610 starter drive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanBarrett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: 5610 starter drive? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where can one buy just the starter drive? There was a bad spot on the ring gear for a few years. The clutch finally went out so my bro-in-law replaced the clutch and had new ring gear installed. Soon the starter started then same thing again. When trying to crank, the starter would grind. Eventually it would grab and start. I purchased another starter from local New Holland dealer. Pulled the old starter and inspected the ring gear. The area was about an 1/8, or less, of the overall diameter. What would cause this? Could the damaged area be cleaned and beveled? The starter motor is ok, drive is eaten up.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: 5610 starter drive? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can easily buy the drive from NH IF you have an original or equivelant Lucas starter. If you're got one of the repop indian made starter then you probably can't buy a drive... at least not as easily.
With that said... it may still be cheaper to buy an entire repop starter than a drive for SOME of the OEM Lucas starters.

Rod

AlanBarrett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: 5610 starter drive? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RodInNS wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:11:05 05/13/12) You can easily buy the drive from NH IF you have an original or equivelant Lucas starter. If you're got one of the repop indian made starter then you probably can't buy a drive... at least not as easily.
With that said... it may still be cheaper to buy an entire repop starter than a drive for SOME of the OEM Lucas starters.

Rod

The starter I got from NH was (I think) a reman. Having said that- I think we are going to use the starter from my 3000 (tore down for rebuild) and save the reman. He touched up the ring gear damage with a Dremel. I did find 2 drives on this site. I guess we will play it by ear and see how it goes.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 5610 starter drive? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's half a dozen different drives for those starters even though the entire starter will interchange. If you order a drive you need the correct one for the particular starter fitted.
I'm not knocking this site... but for something like that you're probably better off buying a drive in person where you can compare new vs old to make sure they're the same.

Rod

AlanBarrett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 5610 starter drive? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem there is- I doubt my brother-in-law knows which drive came on the tractor.

Now I am wondering if the wrong drive caused the ring gear to get eaten up. The damage is confined to just one small area on the ring gear. He replaced the ring gear when he replaced the clutch. The ring gear that came off was the same way!

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 5610 starter drive? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is possible...
Another thing to check... the penetration of the drive is adjustable to some extent by adjusting the eccentric pin that the drive actuator arm pivots on. It's possible that it's not penetrating quite far enough.

Rod

AlanBarrett
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 5610 starter drive? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thinking about why engine always stops in the same area. One would think the reason might be that the engine stops on the up stroke of one of the pistons. This could be because the engine does not have enough centrifugal force to overcome the compression. Does that make sense?

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 5610 starter drive? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those engines will stop more or less in one of three places... all related to the compression stroke of one cylinder or another.

Rod

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters