Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orionsrx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont understand why everyone always says that the best way to tell a WD from a WD45 is the straight shifter! In a world where we didn't have people that try to make an extra buck at their fellow humans expense this might work. That world doesn't exist so the only way to properly tell is the tractor and the engine serial numbers, period! I bought a WD that had the shifter changed and WD45 decals added to try to pass it off as something it wasn't. This happens with muscle cars all the time. So to all of you who are new to the wonderful world of Allis Chalmers, do your homework! check the numbers!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ah but even the serial number can lie. Easy to change out the rear end and then it could be a WD/WD45. I have also seen WD engines in a WD45 tractor and of course the other way around. Shoot my W Speed Patrol had a WD45 engine in it and it should have been a WC engine instead but it now has a WD engine in it but that is the same engine as the WC

orionsrx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I know, I guess I was just venting. I finally got my WD45, all original from the original owner. So I am at peace. :D

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a WD45 with a straight shifter on it. But the serial number and engine say it is a WD45 but the shifter says WD. Seen many a tractor painted up or some sort of thing to hide what they really are. Saw a Ford 860 at and auction with decals for a Ford 4000 on it and I made sure they auctioneer knew exactly what it was and I then got the fun of driving it around loading up stuff for people and showing the new owner how to drive it and all

rogerdoger-plowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

some of the late WDs had a curved shifter

Tim(nj)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And then there's the occasional WD45 that has a Gleaner E combine engine in it . . . .

ILLEFTY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad bought his WD new in 1952 and it doesn't have a serial #. Tractor is all original rearend has never been changed.

ACEd
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thought I too had a WD without s/n but finally found it stamped into top by left brake cover - have also heard since then of tractors with s/n on raised edge but under brake cover on left side.

60 acre hillside
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All of the comments are true but you cannot just replace the straight lever with the curved. The transmisions are quite different. I jad a very good WD with the curved lever and liked it as well as if it would have been a WD45. I did not need the extra power as I had bigger tractors

Harry J. Case
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: WD-WD45 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our neighbor bought a new WD early in 1953, it had the curved shift handle and the constant mesh tranny. He was a little bit upset a few months later when the WD45 came out. Said the dealer knew the 45 was coming and sold him the obsolete tractor anyway. Guess you can't please everybody all the time.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old- the W patrol was built 1940-1942, then again from 1945-1950. In 1948, AC came out with the 226 power unit- ie, same as a WD45 engine. Could be some overlap there, even tho the W was based on a WC frame. Maybe engineering decided to try out their new invention, the 226- before releasing it in massive production numbers in a tractor? Other odd thing is.....AC made the WC into early 1948, before the WD, so did they have WC frames til "50 to make the patrols?

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The straight shifter says the back half is a WD.
Even the original 201 WD block can be hopped up with factory parts to match WD45 hp. Late 1952, WD 127008 had the curved shifter, constant mesh gears. WD was built into early 1953, then the WD45 with 226 engine came out. sn 146,607. Tractors are virtually the same weight, features, etc, but WD45 hand clutch had three plates, not two, like WD.

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't forget, the WF was built into 1951, and shared many parts with the WC.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heck dont think for a minute that this is a new thing. I am quite a long ways on the far side of 50 and it was common as far back as I can remember to upgrade the value of a WD with a set of decals. Good thing is knowldedge and facts on how to tell them apart are a lot easier to get then 30 years ago!
All most people knew when I was young was to look at the shifter and look at the engine block, not many people had serial number referances in the 60s or 70s.

The guys here talking about parts switching is true, hard to tell what you have unless you know the unit from new. One of my favorite WD-45 storys comes from a cheapo buddy who called to crow about his WD-45 diesel buy of the century. Was cheap alright, but had been changed over to a gas engine at some point and later (so the story went) the rear end went out so they had swapped it out for another one from a gasser. All he had of a 45D was a frame rail with the dimple for the injection pump, a metal feul bowl and a hood with a gage pod but by gawd he owned a 45D and didnt pay much for it. LOL.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: WD or WD45, don't rely on the shifter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I know this W Speed Patrol I have had an engine swap before I got it I knew the guy who did the engine swap. As for the frame rails I bet they had or still made them just for the Speed Patrol since if they didn't they would have had to have extra holes in the frame since the transmissions of the WD and WC are different

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters