Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Want to build some firewood equipment...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys!! So, its that time of year again. The skies have turned grey, everything is going to sleep for the winter, the wind has picked up, and the temperatures are dropping. Its fall in Ohio, the summer is officially over...

And this means, that hopefully, I can make some money this fall by building firewood stuff...

I've ruled out a log splitter... We went over that last spring. It'd be fun, but threes just no money there...

I'm thinking smaller things, like a log arch, and more spsificly, a carryall type attachment with three sides, to haul smaller lenghts of timber, branches 5-6 inches wide, that type of thing, out of the woods, etc.

Im envisioning building a couple of my regular carryalls, but with a "back" that would bolt on to the bottom forks, so it could be removed and used the rest of the year.

I could also build a solid tube like structure, that would be in the shape of a "U" with a three point hitch on it. Not sure if that would be as easy to sell, tho...

Just looking for some feedback here, and some ideas...

1) What would you be willing to pay for a log arch like the one pictured here, if you were in the market for one?

2) If you needed one, what would you pay for a "U" shaped carryall, like I described earlier?

Just trying to run some ideas past people who clearly know more about firewood than I do. I'd like to stay busy this fall making this type of thing, instead of just hanging out watching TV or something...

And for the interested, I'm currently in the application process for Hobart. They start a new class every month, and right now they're booked all the way out to February. So, I'm gonna have a little time to kill here...

Thanks guys, hope y'all have a great weekend.

rick165
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

type in log arch and look at mine i just completed it not long ago.it is now painted.
RICK

Nate V. IA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another idea for you.
Untitled URL Link

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks awesome!! How's it working out for you?

If you don't mind... About how tall is she? Thanks for your reply.
This yours?

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, thats awesome!!

I can build one of those and sell it, and if it doesnt sell, I'd keep it and use it on my own truck.

Im no electrician, how hard do you think it'd be to wire something like that?

Nate V. IA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not much of a sparktrition either, this is easy though, basically wire a trailer plug, lights and beeper hook to the backup lights on the trailer plug. The information for this is all over the web, with pictures that are color-coded.

Nate

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And heres something that Gtractorfan made, it looks like something that would sell around here.

He says he uses it behind an ATV or garden tractor, and takes it places where a truck won't go, hence the narrowness of it.

Loads wood in the front part sideways, and the rear part, parallel to the frame.

I hope he doesn't mind me borrowing his pics/idea... That was an older thread, idk if hes here...

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Am trying to upload another set of pic's, it just sits there and doesn't upload. Will keep trying. Maybe having 3 pic's in one is the problem.

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I rescanned, just 2 pic's at once, and the other separately, it worked. Just found out apparently you can "overload the upload".

Super Steve
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what ive done and most ive seen do is find the wire that controls the reverse lights on your truck then tap into it and wire it to your centre pole on your 7 pin trailer plug

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lanse;

I saw a kind of cool thing at an auction--and again no camera. Anyway, it was designed to hold a small diameter log for cutting. It used 1-1/2" x 3/16" tube. It had along, narrow base, maybe 16" or so, for stability, with two uprights. Between the uprights was a horizontal piece the log rested on. Above that, but in the same plane was a swinging rectangle. On the bottom, were sharpened pegs, maybe 1/2 to 3/4" long welded on. The log rest also had short, sharpened pegs. The weight of the swinging portion held the log. Looked pretty slick. Probably 3-6" logs would work best. Sold for $30.00--might be the down side.

Larry

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

couple more ideas. I got old steel wheels at auctions and made 4 wheelbarrows, plus a 3 steel-wheeled cart, easy and cheap to make. The narrow steel wheel pushes easier thru snow than a rubber tire. The wood from this one is from a large shipping pallet, free wood. The covered wagon is an old mailbox I leave by the garden to keep hand tools in. I made a fixture for forming and welding those wheels.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen these log arches for sale, I think you better make sure the demand is there. I've never seen or heard of anyone in my area with one, I think it's a limited audience. I think you would be better off building nice ATV trailers.

Joe IRL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lanse, these are pretty popular over here. the price exchanges to around $260. I'm sure you could cost a little by not powdercoating.
Log holder

retired farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Want to build some firewood equipment... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might want to check with the cops first on this set up. Might be some laws regulating those halogen back up lights on the rear of a vehicle.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters