Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RR history buffs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IaLeo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years back I read a RR history about the RR pushing westward. I remembered the title as "bright and shining path or way" but googling that now gets nothing about RRs. Does anyone remember that book? Thanks
Leo

Deere Scotty
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am sort of a buff; cant remember that title. Might try e-bay. I had relatives that worked for the "Monon" railroad in Indiana. Monon RR Society has a fantastic website called "By gone places of the Monon". It is probably one of the top 3 if not the best historical website put out by fans, & followers. Thousands of photographs from the 1850's to present.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Nothing like it in the world"
By Stephen Ambrose
I found it years ago at a library sale for a dollar.
Great read - as is anything by Ambrose.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a copy (at home) of a book about the building of the transcontinental railroad that was published about 15 years ago.

IIRC, it is entitled Empire Builders, and is a good read.

If interested, I can check the title tomorrow.

Dean

IaLeo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would appreciate that lookup. Thanks

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK. I'll check when I get home but it will be very late.

Dean

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:51:31 11/27/12) ...IIRC, it is entitled Empire Builders, and is a good read....

You're probably thinking of "Empire Express - Building the First Transcontinental Railroad" by David Hayward Bain. It is a somewhat scholarly work - it contains nearly 100 pages of footnotes/bibliography at the end. It is however an altogether fascinating read.

As Ultradog mentions Ambrose' "Nothing Like It In The World" is also good. Historians claim it was not thoroughly researched and contains some minor factual errors. But it is still very much worth the time.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you remember the exact name, check abebooks.com or alibris.com. They aren't as popular as once, but the mustie old railroad coffee table books are offered up on used book sites like those.
There must have been 200 books on the first transcontinental lines. I think the second- SP of Arizona/ ATSF, and the last, Grand Trunk Pacific, were much more interesting, just as romantic- just less historic. No movies on them either..

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe that's it, Bob.

Dean

IaLeo

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just read an interesting reprint of a book written on RR from 1830 to about 1900 called "The American Railway" 456pages by Thomas Curtis Clarke.
The fascination was with the writer's pride/view of RR in their heyday.
Leo

JerryS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of us have probably seen the famous Hill painting of the driving of the last spike joining the east-west at Promontory Point. A less famous, but my favorite, painting of the scene was on the cover of MAD Magazine back in (1969?). It showed the two sets of rails coming together, but they were about four feet off the mark. Only one rail met. Alfred E. Newman was wielding the hammer, of course.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've actually seen that.

It must have been a government project.

Dean

Bendee

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saw the TV piece.Gelignite not too effective in the rockies so changed to Nitro, many workers were blown up mostly Chinese.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RR history buffs? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob M is correct. It is, indeed, The Empire Express.

It it a very good read.

Dean

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters