Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts????

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone ever tried running a 12 volt hydraulic pump set-up on 6 volts? I picked up a Western snow plow and want to hang it on my loader, wondering if the it would lift and turn the plow running on 6 volts. This will ultimately push me into converting, but just thinking short term, will it work? I understand that it will basically run at half speed, half power, but will the pump generate enough pressure to work?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may work for a short time but at half the volts the motor will draw more amps and that in turn will cause it to burn it self out so for what it would cost to replace that pump is it worth it??? If nothing else set a 12 volt battery some place on the machine just to run that hyd pump and be on the safe side. A full charged 12 volt battery will last for hours on that set up

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ohh....i'd add a 12v one wire alternator on either the belt pulley or the pto and he could charge the battery too!!!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One wire heck no those things cost twice what a 3 wire does and it would be simple to just add a switch to turn the alternator on but since he did say he might be going to 12 volts why bother with an alternator or do it right

wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for all of the good info, if there is a chance of burning up the pump, I won't try it. I have a Ford alternator just need a voltage regulator, battery, coil and the time to do it. I may just hang the blade on the bucket so I can move some snow. thanks for the help.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shoot for around $50 you can buy an Delco alternator for say a 1980 Chev pick up no power any thing and that is a simple 3 wire hook up and then you do not have to mess with an external V.R which are a pain in the back sides any how

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years ago they used to have a small 110volt generator tthat. Mounted to a car or truck engine like an alternator. It was all self contained, it would run a drill or skilsaw. Was a pretty handy deal. Would like to find one of them .

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya no all that common any more. A good many of those where DC so would run a drill etc but not things like a radio etc

wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree the GM alternator is probably a better choice, but I have the Ford alternator and a VR is $15. I may as well use it. Need a coil and battery either way.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You do not have to replace the coil all you do is add a ballast resister between the ignition switch and the coil O'Reilly's part number VR-1 works well and can be mounted to a thin piece of metal so as to have a heat sink and it cost less then $5

wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought I needed a ballast resistor (or coil with an internal resistor) and a 12V coil vs 6V coil. Either way, it's probably a horse apiece, a 12v coil with internal resistor is $9.99, and I should put a new on on anyway.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No such thing as a coil with an internal resister. The 12 volt coils are wound different so as to be a true 12 volt coil due to higher resistance in the way they are wound

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will overheat it and eventually burn it up. 12 volts to a 6 volt pump is fine. Not the other way around.

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buy brand new self-excite "one wire" regulators the same price as conventional. About $11 either way.

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Running a 12 volt hydraulic pump on 6 volts???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure there is. All coils have internal resistors - i.e. the windings. A coil sold as not needing an external ballast resistor for a 12 volt system simply has the equivalent of the the external ballast resistor windings rolled into the internals.

Outside or inside - it's still a bunch of small wire windings to create resistance.

Regardless if a "6 volt" coil with separate resistor outside, or a "12 volt coil" with no outside coil of wire or carbon resistor wire (like GM and Deere use sometimes) - it will all total somewhere around 3-4 ohms on the primary.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters