Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

I need some info from you sparkmasters....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some info from you sparkmasters.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Something else that I forgot to mention, when you put a test light on the plus side of the coil it will blink when you turn it over kind of like the negative side of the coil except it goes from dim when the points are closed to real bright when they are open. I do not recall seeing this on the old cars that had points and condensors. Is this normal? It also has new points and condensor.

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some info from you sparkmasters.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No sir I sure do not know what its value is.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some info from you sparkmasters.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last time I did a 12 volt conversion on a Farmall and used the factory 6 volt coil I used an O'Reilly's VR-1 ballast resister. Cost around $5 and it works very well on any tractor I have done and I have done a good many. Plus it can be mounted so as to be hidden if you have a hole some place to mount it at

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some info from you sparkmasters.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your spinning the engine over as the points open and close yes a test light can in fact sort of blink

BillM (OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some info from you sparkmasters.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would get a 12V coil from Napa that needs NO resistance and ditch the existing ballast resistor. 10 gage wire is way more than you need. I would also make sure you have copper core wires for the plugs and the coil output.

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some info from you sparkmasters.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to thank you all for your help. After spending a couple of hours messing around with no luck, I put a regular coil off another tractor on it and it fired right off. I went to town and got a new internal resistance coil and ran my 12 volts to it and now its purring like a kitten. I learned a valuble lesson on this tractor. Take all those foreign reproduction parts that don't fit or don't work and stuff them!!! So much for factory original reproduction parts, I am done with them unless they are made in the U.S.A.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I need some info from you sparkmasters.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you think 4' of 10g wire is killing the spark.. time to sell the M :)

larger wire is great for conductance.

better check that switch or the resistor..

something other than 4' of AWESOME copper conductor is killing the spark.

me? I'd loose the blasted 6v coil and resistor and get a real 12v coil like a napa ic14sb.. 16$ etc..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters