Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

40' shipping container/pole barn questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am thinking about building a new building to replace a 28x60 pole barn we have here. With the wind and snow we get the pole barn gets a lot of snow drifted in it and it is not really worth putting sides on in my opinion. The whole thing was built before we came here and was in my opinion a bad idea poorly executed. The original poles were untreated red pine set in the dirt which rotted off at ground level and I replaced them with 6x6 treated poles a few years ago. The trusses were homemade and the break in the bottom chord was put in the wrong place so they pulled apart and before our time someone bolted fish plates on them. The pole barn was built to protect a 40' shipping container that was being used for storage and was getting rusty on top. The container is about 4 feet from one side of the pole barn and breaks up the space and makes it less useful, and the container itself has limited utility because it is so long and narrow that nearly half of it has to be left open to walk through. I would like someday to remove the container, take down the pole barn and build a proper building with walls and a decent frame. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what you see containers sell for and how hard or expensive they are to move when empty. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Zach

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

used a sky track to lift up one end of this one backed trailer under half then lifted the other end and backed under the rest of it

da.bees
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same as valueing a used truck,condition and finding a buyer effects going price.
Around here 20' containers sell better than 40' and bring $500 to $1,000. 40' can be a problem to move where as a roll-back can easyly move a 20'.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you, that is an interesting way to do it. Any idea what the one you moved might have weighed?
Zach

ben there

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my 40 footer weighs 8800# empty.
should have weight on door.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would love to have one like you have but cost to much for me right now. I want to tar it up good cover with old dock foam I have then bury in the hill side as a root cellar/storm shelter/hidy hole. In my are if you can find something like that it runs around $2500

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i don't know its all aluminum ben there is right on steel ones

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Zach Ten years ago I was buying true Ocean going containers (there is a difference) for a thousand to twelve hundred. Now good used domestic (lighter) containers are minimum of two thousand on up. Have a fold down rear load true implement trailer that I pull with conventional road tractor. Moving on is no trouble for me . Most times just throw down about three round fence post and just use winch to pull the container on. I am the other way here . Have several buildings where we place two containers 30 ft apart and bridge the middle with bar joist and roof. Makes a good cheap building. Don,t know where you are located but should not be too hard to sell you container.

Ray
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some places they are not allowed by zoning.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No zoning laws in my area plus where I live if some one saw what I was doing they would have to trespass to do so, so they would be in trouble more then I would be since there is no law in this area for me to worry about but they do have to worry about the trespass law

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old.. I have one completely underground, would send you photos if was not so bad outside. First try and get one called an overseas container. They are painted and coated with a galvanized type paint won,t rust. Put the insulation on the outside , if not will sweat underground. Last I went to a local friend that was a roofer and got a full piece of rubber roofing , covered the entire thing before I put the dirt on top. This one has been buried now for over 15 years with no problems.
Took a D 9 dug a long slot and backed the truck with container down in it and slid it off. Backfilled a little at a time till I got it filled.

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son got caught with one by the zoning guy. Made him get rid of it. It's claimed around here they use Google Earth to check farm places and acreage's for illegal buildings. Neighbor got notice to get rid of old car setting in back of his garage hidden by the trees from the road so might be so.

M Becker

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you put it all underground, what do you use it for? Summer cabin in the woods?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my area the over seas type is extra hard to come by because we is so far form any real big body of water. I would love to have one or 2 maybe 3 of them but for what I hear they sell for my never have the $$ to do so. If I do ever get one the idea would be to coat with tar etc then lay the dock foam on top and on the sides then use plastic etc to cover the foam then dirt. But at this time it is a dream but dreams do come true some times LOL

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 40' shipping container/pole barn questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why would you need a 6000 cubic foot root cellar? You could store 100 quarts of veggies in about 25 cu ft. 10,000 rounds of ammo in 16 cu ft.
A tornado shelter 10x6x8 would be good. (500 cu ft)
Downsize your dream and make it happen. My "Hidey hole" is a walk down 5x10x6 concrete septic tank buried in the shop floor. Enough for a 10 minute stay.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters