Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

old tanker ih460 wiring

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry, Take your diagram, take a marker and eliminate the wiring that goes to the VR/Genny, ALL OF IT. Add in the wiring as shown for the alternator (2 wires back to the dash) One should be 10-12 ga and the other 14-16 ga. Add in a wire from the IGN switch to the coil. Add in a jumper from the Alt post to the light switch. Everything else should be the same as in the diagram.

Rick

ldb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rick and Jim, Thanks for getting back to me. I was looking at the alt. again today on the tractor and the wires are not running the same way as what you guys recommended. May be why it shorted out, but it was running ok this summer. Out of the 2 small wires on the alt. that plug in with the plastic connector the 1r is going to the ign switch and the 2f is connected to the pos. post on the coil. And the big wire on alt. post, do not know where that one is going yet. Just thinking they may not be wired right. Also there was no jumper wire going from alt. post to 2r. I was trying to draw out a wiring diagram going by what you guys explained along with the diagram I printed out from Carter & Gruenwald.com . On the amp gage which one is considered the output terminal + or -. I'm trying to get all this figured out before I start tearing it apart. Hope everyone has a good night. I think I'm dreaming about tractors now in my sleep!!!!!!! Larry

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well the only other help I can give ya is to tell you to load up that tractor and bring it here....... Shocked Just don't know If I can explain it any better.

Rick

ldb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rick, you explained it very well. I was just trying to figure why my tractor was wired that way. Thanks Larry

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry, the best explanation for that is that most people really don't understand automotive wiring.They wind up with extra wiring that's not needed or makes a mess or is hard to trouble shoot if there is a problem sometime down the pike.

If like on your 460 the tractor isn't stock (alt conversion) there is no need to try to keep the wiring stock. You can make the harness simple and easy to trace.

You have to remember that residential electricians may not understand automotive wiring and the opposite is true too. I know guys who are pretty good mechanics but at a loss with electrical problems too.

You also have people who put conversion kits together that try to make a conversion as simple as possible without concern that maybe there is a better way to do it.

There is a guy on one of the forums here that got an electric ignition conversion for his tractor that included a 12 volt coil to replace the original 6 volt. The kit also included a ballast resistor to used ONLY if the 6 volt coil was used. The instructions were not real clear and he had to ask advice on it to find out that he needed to remove that resister from the circuit. Now I'm pretty sure that what happened is the supplier was selling a pre packaged 12 volt plus IE kit designed to use the 6 volt coil. As a customer convenience they were shipping the kit with the optional 12 volt coil without additional instructions. Most likely an oversite on the sellers part. Not a real big deal as long as one has something like this forum to fall back on or the seller has good customer support. I'm sure that some 12 volt conversions have had similar things done to make it easier on the installer.

Sorry for being long winded.

Rick

ldb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rick, thanks again. I was hoping that I wasn't testing your patience by asking all those questions. Like I said before I'm not an elect. guy have limited knowledge. I think I'm a jack of all trades ,BUT.... master of none!!!!!! I do like to try to figure things out. I am going to try to peel and seperate all the wiring in the harness and go from there and follow you guys instructions. Larry

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry, no problem guy. If I minded it I would have responded in the first place Cool

Rick

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clearing up the amp gauge output question.
An amp gauge is measuring the power flowing through it. it is polarized so the current flowing into the battery from the alternator (in this case) moves the needle to the right (charge) direction. When the lights are on, and the tractor is not running, the amps are flowing out of the battery, and the needle moves left, discharge.
There is no standardization on the markings (if any) on the meter. If it was originally positive ground with the amp meter doing as above, the meter leads need to be moved to the opposite terminals to be correct with a negative ground. The battery is connected to the amp meter with a heavy wire from the solenoid connection coming from the battery. This gives the amp meter a connection to the battery non ground terminal.
The other amp gauge terminal is considered the load side (or output side). I am making a diagram and will post it later tonight here and in the parts and pieces. Jim

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the diagram Jim

ldb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: old tanker ih460 wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, thank you for printing a picture of the wiring diagram. That has help me a 125% +. With the help of you and Rick (old tanker) I can start on rewiring this Old Red ( she is a little bit younger than I am)with a little more confidence. I love reading this site, learn so much. Wouldn't it be something if everyone could attend a "Yesterday Tractors Reunion" somewhere????? Larry

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters