Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Bits and Pieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The remains of an exhaust seat stuck in the piston of a JD 4640. Less than 500 hrs. on the JD reman engine. I asked the JD parts guy today if he saw a kit available to bolt a Case 504 in place of the 466?!!! Last pic is a 14,000 houred 1570 that had a leaking head gasket.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YIKES I would bet the head looks rough too!! I bet the JD parts guy never smiled at you did he?? LOL cnt

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom, They usually turn 3 different shades of power red and grit their teeth. lol

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When the glow plug falls off the stem on a 70 series, pistons have a tendancy to look that way also.
Loren

dwag
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG Mach Shop in Davenport Ia. told me last spring several Deere Dealers have quit using reman engs and OH themselves due to reliability issues.

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really.... I am so impressed with the workmanship...... Pisses me off. And I'm not even the one paying for it. I put this engine in 3 years ago.

Tom (Kansas)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know how many Deere reman engines I installed, but the only one that came back so far was a 404 I put in a 4020. The original engine had a loose rod and the reman came back one year later with a loose rod too. The biggest problem we have with them (reman select) are the injection pumps.

Agri King
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom the owner of this 4640 says the reman engine seems to lack bottom end power, compared to the worn out original engine. I remember seeing the dyno sheet that came with the engine and that looked fine. What injector pump problems have you seen?

dwag
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Again, quoting my Diesel shop, Reman Select use re-chromed plungers/barrels in their inline pumps.

dwag
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Topic came up as I was delivering a block,and parts for a 4840 I was OH'ing. Was whining that cust didn't want a reman and pretty much insisted on OH, Anymore I DISLIKE overhauls, too time consuming, get bored on big jobs, too many things that can go wrong. john

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't do anything with reman's anymore. After the Jasper 350 chevy that had RTV plugging the oil pump galley I've seen enough. Got a couple JD reman select POS boat anchors that needed going over too. Not worth it. I've been getting most of my JD overhaul parts from Syracuse Crank and Machine, www.agkits.com and haven't looked back!

Tom (Kansas)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bits and Pieces Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put one on a 4wd that would not time up where it should have. I jumped a tooth on the camshaft and got it timed up but the engine would smoke like a frieght train but would not run. A reman engine in a 4850 was hard to start. It would start fine if the engine was warm but would crank over a lot to get running if it was below 60°. Another guy installed one that had a crack in the housing and leaked fuel out. He replaced that one with one that the governor would let it run wild. He replaced that one with a third pump and it worked good. I have heard some of our customers thought the low end power was not there, but I figured it might just be a new engine and not broke-in yet.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters