Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All,

I've got an old 4x4 chevy frame/engine/transmission that has no body to it.

I want to use this in the winter. the radiator is rear located. The cab and original heater is long gone. I want to fit a small blower fan and heater core for some warmth.

I plan on heading to the junkyard/boneyard/auto-recycler tomorrow.

Does anyone have recommendations as to what type of car I should look for? I am hoping for a compact type single unit.

Thanks in advance,

D.

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for a rear heater from a Chevy Suburban. They were made to sit on the floor in the back and have a fan mounted on the back side. Size guess, 15"X8"X9" tall. coolant connections come out the bottom

rusted nuts

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor trailer sleeper, Sometimes they have their own unit in the sleeper. bout 8"x8"x12" hight, 4 bolts to bolt them to the floor, heater hoses, wires. It's all there in one small box.

Handyman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

older toyota pickups had a one piece unit type heater core blower that would work for what your wanting. can be removed by taking out four bolts, undoing the two hoses, a control cable and one electrical connection.

J.T.L.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I picked one up last fall. Went to a salvage yard, that I have visited for about 23 years. Told the owner what I was looking for, and he said to go look in a bunch of the old delivery trucks, that had come from a local potato chip company. The trucks look like UPS trucks.

They had aftermarket, 2 speed heaters added, right next to the drivers seat. The added switch was on the dash. 4 screws, 2 hose clamps, and the unit was out of the truck. I think other companies, useing the same type of truck, may well have added these heaters also. --- John

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Schoolbus rear heater?

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can find one, a cab over White Freighter, under the drivers seat. They had two blower motors and it was the only heater that really worked in the darn things.

RickieBlue
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All of the older Toyota's had a heater above the driveshaft hump, that was held in by 4 screws..I am talking mid to late 70's...also if you need a fuel tank....the mid to late 70's Toyota Corolla had the tank behind the rear seat....4 screws on that too..and always in mint shape..about 12 gallons...

Determined
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You stated that the radiator is rear located. Can you explain that a little better.
A rear located radiator with a fan on it would be the king of all heaters.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PJH wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:57:51 02/16/13) Schoolbus rear heater?

Exactly. The rear heater from a school bus is a self contained unit. Heater core and electric fan all in one unit.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Combines used to have floor mounted fan/heater combos. Gleaners had one about 8 inches square. Others were similar.

Gordon in IN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core retoro-fit home-made pperhaps.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 1991 Ford (Full Size) Van with a separate "rear" heater. That might be be something to look for.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters