1948 8n with Dearborn 19-70 loader

Folks, first of all let me commend you all on the wealth of info found here. I fall asleep at night in bed just reading through the forum. Frustrates the wife though. Oh well.

After years of looking, I just picked up a 1948 Ford 8N with a 19-70 dearborn loader.
I need to flush the loader system out since its moaning and groaning and missing plenty of fluid. After reading everything I could and then some on this site, I'm going to:
-Drain the system
-Fill her up with 4 gallons of antifreeze
-Run the pump for a max of 5 minutes
-Run the loader up and down a few times (no load)
-Flip the bucket a few times (under no loader)
-Drain the system
-Refill with TSC old ford tractor hydraulic fluid

Any thoughts on above?
I cant image not having a filter on the loader system. I have some ideas on installing one but wondered if anyone has done so. I would be great to get some pointers.
Lastly my right bucket cylinder is leaking oil. Its the original that came with the loader. Seems easy to rebuild. Anyone know where I can pick up some parts or again provide a pointer or two. I cant find anyone local here to rebuild it.

[/list]

I've got to be missing something - antifreeze? I'm not familiar with that particular loader, but moisture is the opposite of what every hydraulic system needs. Are you looking to flush it? I think diesel is too thin. If it were me I would put a good bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in there and run it good then empty. You will have milky hydro from now until kingdom come if you put non-oil based liquid in there.

Congrates on the new toy! I have the 19-61 loader that appears about same as yours. Hopefully was a typo about antifreeze. Operator manual says use kerosene or hydro fluid to flush however they refer to it as a new install. I contacted Nu-way Hydraulics in Syracuse NY when needed to rebuild lift arms and they had parts in stock but have yet to rebuild bucket rams, will be running there (is local for me) when I can do them.

Crap...I meant Kerosene not antifreeze. That's what you get when you write and someone else was talking to me about something very different....Sorry.

I was thinking about using diesel but was told too much detergents that could cause adverse affects such as scoring. I'm thinking 5 minutes max shouldn't be an issue. We used diesel on a buddies 8N tractor to flush out main hydraulics system with no problems.

Thanks. Just using the loader to move some dirt around and occasionally some loose stone. Thanks for the tip. I will give them a buzz. I have the parts assembly sheet and it doesn't seem as difficult as a modern day cylinder.[/img]

Greywolf, a good flushing with diesel fuel and not antifreeze lol will work fine.Diesel fuel has lubricating qualities.What do you think lubricates close tolerance diesel injection pumps?

(quoted from post at 14:50:22 06/03/13) Greywolf, a good flushing with diesel fuel and not antifreeze lol will work fine.Diesel fuel has lubricating qualities.What do you think lubricates close tolerance diesel injection pumps?

I figured on that. Diesel is an actual oil as we all know. And it does lubricate. Definitely not nearly as well as hydro oil but my gut feeling is that it wont do any harm just running it for a few minutes and letting it sit over night No more harm than a sump full of 20 plus years of sludge.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back