Dearborn loader has pin bucket release.

Knuckle47

New User
Forgive my lack of knowledge on this: I have a 1947 8N with a Dearborn loader attached. I am guessing from reading tons of stuff it is a 19-60 with a 19-32 bucket. This bucket has a larger 6 wide bucket that slips off the 19-32 and makes a very effective larger capacity scoop.

The drop action occurs with a pin release lever. I have seen several using a hydraulic cylinder to tilt the bucket and unload the material.

So a little about meI will be 70 in 3 weeks but have maintained a small level of strength and agility to continue working around my 10 acres. I needed a tractor like this for the entire 44 years I have been in this house and can weld most anything.

Is making a change like this mostly about adding a dual control valve and fabricating cylinder brackets or am I oversimplifying it?

One more thing. How available are snow plows for the 8N? The jungle gym of pipes will eventually be a bit more than I can handle but moving snow will always be a big benefit.

(quoted from post at 00:09:13 12/26/22) Forgive my lack of knowledge on this: I have a 1947 8N with a Dearborn loader attached. I am guessing from reading tons of stuff it is a 19-60 with a 19-32 bucket. This bucket has a larger 6 wide bucket that slips off the 19-32 and makes a very effective larger capacity scoop.

The drop action occurs with a pin release lever. I have seen several using a hydraulic cylinder to tilt the bucket and unload the material.

So a little about meI will be 70 in 3 weeks but have maintained a small level of strength and agility to continue working around my 10 acres. I needed a tractor like this for the entire 44 years I have been in this house and can weld most anything.

Is making a change like this mostly about adding a dual control valve and fabricating cylinder brackets or am I oversimplifying it?

One more thing. How available are snow plows for the 8N? The jungle gym of pipes will eventually be a bit more than I can handle but moving snow will always be a big benefit.

You have a "trip bucket" loader. The 19-60 heavy duty loader had a trip bucket and the 19-61 was the fully hydraulic version. Adding cylinders to the bucket is not hugely difficult but you will wind up spending better part of $700-$800 for parts and materials.

TOH

This post was edited by TheOldHokie on 12/26/2022 at 03:05 am.

Back in the day "trip" buckets were far more common than the "luxury" hydraulic buckets. If the conversion sounds like too much time/money you could try an extension of the lever for better leverage. Dearborn front mount plows show up frequently.

I have a similar deal but a different brand of tractor and loader but it is trip bucket.
I would do a bit a studying up on how the self leveling bucket linkages are made.
On mine greasing the lock pin makes a difference.

Thanks for all of the input not everything I would load should be instantly released so I was thinking about the modification. Built my log splitter and log lifter from "stuff" lying around and was just considering the options.

The biggest hurdle will come when I have to climb all over the rear of the machine to get in the seat. Right now, no real problem but I can see it coming

A lot of reading has raised a few more questions.

The Dearborn loader is blocking off all access to the steps due to its design. At 70, I may not have enough agility in a few years to make that climb up and over the three point hitch. Can anyone
recommend a loader that might provide an easier way up to the seat without all of the pipes. Better I change it now than to wait until I actually need it

cvphoto144161.jpg

(quoted from post at 00:55:40 01/03/23) A lot of reading has raised a few more questions.

The Dearborn loader is blocking off all access to the steps due to its design. At 70, I may not have enough agility in a few years to make that climb up and over the three point hitch. Can anyone
recommend a loader that might provide an easier way up to the seat without all of the pipes. Better I change it now than to wait until I actually need it

Your choices are pretty limited. The easy and IMO better solution is to trade the 8N for a newer loader tractor.

Dan

Since you are a "fabricator", just look for an old tractor with a step through loader that you can check out and take pics of, and modify yours. Much easier wold be to replace it. Two old Ford that I have bought had loaders like what you want that I didn't want. I sold or traded both off for in the neighbor hood of $400.00.

'47 2N I had w/a Dearborn loader made for the N's:

mvphoto101045.jpg

Sold it to a young man who I doubt had ever smiled so large as he was when test driving it before buying it - w/NO dickering price!

(quoted from post at 09:57:55 01/03/23) '47 2N I had w/a Dearborn loader made for the N's:

mvphoto101045.jpg

Sold it to a young man who I doubt had ever smiled so large as he was when test driving it before buying it - w/NO dickering price!

This is exactly what could work for me trading the 8n for another tractor is not in the cards. I really love this 8N. If I can me a few changes, I would smile the same way !!

Anyone recommend a control valve that could function with the single acting lift cylinders and the dual acting dump cylinder?

(quoted from post at 12:00:15 02/05/23)
(quoted from post at 09:57:55 01/03/23) '47 2N I had w/a Dearborn loader made for the N's:

mvphoto101045.jpg

This is exactly what could work for me trading the 8n for another tractor is not in the cards. I really love this 8N. If I can me a few changes, I would smile the same way !!

Anyone recommend a control valve that could function with the single acting lift cylinders and the dual acting dump cylinder?

A cheap two spool DA valve . Just tee the extra port into tanknreturn and you are good to go.

https://summit-hydraulics.com/product/monoblock-hydraulic-directional-control-valve-2-spool-11-gpm/

Dan

This may be the best plan for me Thank you Dan

Al

This post was edited by Knuckle47 on 02/05/2023 at 05:39 pm.

To explain some thoughts behind this idea.

When I was younger, filling in the driveway holes, dragging trees out of the woods, moving and lifting heavy stuff was more easily managed with just a wheelbarrow. But as the decades have rolled by I find my self still doing the same work with 40% of the strength and energy.

After watching a neighbor with his 8N I thought how easy it would be to have something to help do all of the things I find more difficult now. The loader is a real benefit for me lifting and I am trying to make a set of pallet forks for the 3 point hitch.

I recently tore down and old 12x20 shed and basically cut up the long pieces and "shoveled" 2 tons of wood scrap into a 20 yard dumpster. When I pulled the trip bucket leverwow, not a simple drop.

Given the need for me to carry some fill gravel around the road, shovel up some firewood piles and move snow, that gentle tilt of the dump bucket just adds a big benefit to me. The framework of the loader is my other problem currently, I can make the climb into the seat from the 3 point hitch. But let s face it, age is the deciding factor and I hate to think I could not make it into the seat as the only reason the tractor and I sit idle.

Kinda like " will you ever finish maintain this property?" Nah

mvphoto102130.jpg

mvphoto102131.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back