Cement anchor bolts question

super99

I bought a used jib crane and looking for anchor bolts to put in the concrete when pouring to fasten it to. I looked online and it was recommending a 4’ x 4’ x4’ deep slab to fasten it to. They recommended 1” x3’ anchor bolts I can’t find any that long but did find these at Fastenal . If I weld 2 or 3 together I can make them 3’ long, I think that would work, any thoughts about doing this? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2392.jpeg
    IMG_2392.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 54
I bought a used jib crane and looking for anchor bolts to put in the concrete when pouring to fasten it to. I looked online and it was recommending a 4’ x 4’ x4’ deep slab to fasten it to. They recommended 1” x3’ anchor bolts I can’t find any that long but did find these at Fastenal . If I weld 2 or 3 together I can make them 3’ long, I think that would work, any thoughts about doing this? Thanks
Well Crap!! I just looked longer at the listing and they are discontinued. Any ideas where to get 6 anchors?

McMaster Carr is another good place for fasteners. Their longest at 1" diameter is also 24". I would be tempted to weld up some cross bracing as well as extensions with 1" rebar.

HTH

Regards,

Cliff(VA) now (NC)

L bolts at McMaster.com

one style

Pour the foundation pad with anchors installed ahead of the crane. It solves all issues! If more info/options to look at google cast in place concrete anchors. Making a plywood template with matching holes can hold the cast in place anchors in perfect alignment to prevent placement pain. Jim

You really want to look closely at the spec's they call for on those anchor bolts. I'm usually all for pushing the limits of safety and bypassing recommendations, but jib cranes are a little different: Even small jib cranes put a boat-load of overturning moment on a pad and quite a lot of uplift in the anchor bolts. Unless it's a really, really small crane, I doubt they call for standard wedge-type anchor bolts - they'd just pull out.

Heavier equipment and jib cranes often call for epoxy anchor bolts and a minimum embed depth of at least 6" or 8" for no uplift, and up to several feet for lots of uplift. The dedicated epoxies they make for anchoring are pretty incredible: If they're done right they're pretty much just as good as a proper 'L' bolt put in when the concrete was poured, and way better than a wedge-type anchor bolt. But they have to be done right: Drill the hole to the right depth and diameter, blow out all the dust (that step is critical, and often overlooked), then use the epoxy as per the manufacturer's instructions (usually you screw the anchor in to the liquid epoxy so it gets fully coated/embedded). The good thing about the epoxy-style of anchor bolts is they don't require any special bolts: You typically just use a high-grade threaded rod in the epoxy - the threads provide a suitable 'key' for the epoxy to set in and grab. The Hilty HY series of anchoring epoxies are pretty much the industry standard for heavy equipment anchoring.

Whatever you do, make sure you do it right. A lot of people have been hurt, and a lot more equipment has been damaged, because jib cranes are often not anchored correctly. There's a reason the manufacturers recommend such a massive concrete base and hefty anchors: Remember: A standard rail or overhead A-frame crane has zero overturning moment or uplift. A jib crane has a HUGE overturning moment and uplift.

If you're pouring the pad with the bolts in, I'd think you'd be fine with 3' long threaded rod and some heavy washer plates jammed between two nuts at the end.

Avoid epoxied anchors, there are dead people because some Boston tunnel contractor used epoxy anchors improperly on concrete ceiling panels and Hilti had to manage the remediation of all the panels with proper undercut type anchors.

Rather than weld extensions on shorter anchors, why not weld your rebar cage to the anchor bolts. Then the uplift has to pull your cage out of the 4' cube of concrete, along with the anchors. 2 foot x 1" anchors welded to the cage seems mighty stout. steve

Bolt depot has 1" B7 threaded rod, $90 for 3'....

Get the bent, L-shape cast in place anchors as recommended by the crane maker.
Don't be messing with welding any anchors.
How close are you to North Manchester, Indiana, ???
Ten for $60, hot dip galvanized too.

But, but, but, it's the farmer way you know to figure a way to save a nickel. Safety and liability, and manufacturers printed instructions be damned.

I've had to design bases for material handling robots, like larger FANUC and Yaskawa units. Some of those will do 400"/min with a load on the arm. The moment load of those on accel/decel can get pretty extreme. Hauling a 90 lb chunk of casting from the vertical mill to the turning center in a couple seconds can. get interesting. Most of those had to be equal-mass pads to counteract that moment, and with significant bearing area to disperse the load.

The ONE thing you don't want to do is cheap out on the anchors. I usually did welded #8 rebar cages and all-thread of sufficient size to handle the tensile load. McMaster has sleeves to install over the studs to protect them during concrete pour and finishing, as well as genera protection before installing the equipment. Poly tubing can be used if you have the appropriate size.

I've done some foundations like this. Usually there is an engineered drawing showing a rebar cage and the anchors. What is the capacity (weight and distance from centerline of column) ? Do you have any drawings? Or have you tried to Google or contact whomever made the jib crane?

Sometimes details call for a 3/16" plate with low strength all thread bolted through it embedded in concrete.

Regular all thread would be fine. Low strength 1" rod is about 50 ksi tensile. Rarely are high strength fasteners used as anchors.

The tensile strength of the anchor is not an issue for your project. The concrete failing and the anchors pulling out is the issue. As I suggested above, it's unlikely all 4 anchors and the 3/16" plate embedded in 30" of concrete would pull out. The foundation could breakup under a shock load. That's what the rebar is for.

How close are you to North Manchester, Indiana, ???
Ten for $60, hot dip galvanized too.

Thanks, I ordered these. I wouldn't even consider any of the Red head style drive in anchors or epoxyed ones. I had looked on E Bay but didn't see these. Chris

I've done some foundations like this. Usually there is an engineered drawing showing a rebar cage and the anchors. What is the capacity (weight and distance from centerline of column) ? Do you have any drawings? Or have you tried to Google or contact whomever made the jib crane?

Sometimes details call for a 3/16" plate with low strength all thread bolted through it embedded in concrete.

Regular all thread would be fine. Low strength 1" rod is about 50 ksi tensile. Rarely are high strength fasteners used as anchors.

The tensile strength of the anchor is not an issue for your project. The concrete failing and the anchors pulling out is the issue. As I suggested above, it's unlikely all 4 anchors and the 3/16" plate embedded in 30" of concrete would pull out. The foundation could breakup under a shock load. That's what the rebar is for.
It's supposed to be rated for 1200#s, I can't find a name plate on it, it came out of a local factory. I looked on You Tube for jib crane bases and they showed how to install rebar and size base for this size crane.

It's supposed to be rated for 1200#s, I can't find a name plate on it, it came out of a local factory. I looked on You Tube for jib crane bases and they showed how to install rebar and size base for this size crane.
That's not much weight. What is the center line dimension?

Why not just buy J bolts. https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Grou...tag=se&keywords=j+bolts&qid=1712310480&sr=8-2

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back