Preferred transmission in a 1988 3910

Probably the dual range 8x2 would be the cheapest to rebuild. I have the 8 speed synchromesh, 8x4 in my 2910 and it works good.

Probably the dual range 8x2 would be the cheapest to rebuild. I have the 8 speed synchromesh, 8x4 in my 2910 and it works good.
If it is one with the Dual Power Transmission, run!!!!! Designed by Kubota and many parts are no longer available. I have a friend with one that has failed clutch packs and the tractor has been in pieces for many years as he searches for a replacement gearbox.

The toughest most reliable transmission is the standard 8x2
The column shifted 8x4 is a decent transmission but I’ve heard of issues with the shift levers
The only 8x4’s with dual power on that size tractor that I know of was the 30 series
Best to stay away from that one, I have one in my storage trailer, some of the needed parts are unavailable and what is available is overly priced

The toughest most reliable transmission is the standard 8x2
The column shifted 8x4 is a decent transmission but I’ve heard of issues with the shift levers
The only 8x4’s with dual power on that size tractor that I know of was the 30 series
Best to stay away from that one, I have one in my storage trailer, some of the needed parts are unavailable and what is available is overly priced
You are right, I misread the number, 3930 is the one to avoid.

Please explain how to identify a Dual Power Transmission.

The only knowledge I have is via Tractor Data. Which says they could be had with these:

The 3910 wasn't available with dual power. The 8x2 manual transmission, which is the first one described on that tractordata page, is the most desirable and the most common. It is a simple manual transmission with 4 forward and one reverse gear on the main shifter and hi/low ranges on the shorter second shifter for a total of 8 forward and 2 reverse gears. The second one listed on tractordata is the 8x4 syncromesh. It is a good transmission as well, but the external linkages for the column shifter could be problematic, and the synchronizers are getting more scarce and expensive as time goes on. The third one listed on tractordata is the 6x4 manual reversing transmission. It is a manual transmission with 3 forward and 2 reverse gears on the main shifter and hi/low ranges on the shorter secondary shifter, giving a total of 6 forward and 4 reverse speeds. It is good for loader work as you can shift easily between forward and reverse at the same gear ratio by simply moving the main shifter forward and backwards.

I have a 3910 of about that year with an 8x2/non sync with independent PTO....also currently have a 3000 and 3600 with it. I have/have-had maybe 6 or 7 Fords and all built after 1954 have had the 8x2, but with Live PTO. That transmission is bullet proof. For fence work, drilling post holes in a row, the Live PTO is my preferred type.

Even though the 8x2 is spec'd as a non-sync tranny, cutting the speed to less than 1k RPM and they shift effortlessly with 134 A,B, or D (for the 3910 with wet brakes), fluid.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back