IH Steering wheel repair

bc

Hello guys. I got this steering wheel that needs something done. The black material around the steel always used to leave a residue on my hands. Plan is to go ahead and knock the rest of it off. Is there any kind of treatment or epoxy coating that can go on to replace what is there? Otherwise I can wrap it with leather or something similar. Thanks.
20240409_195804[1].jpg
20240409_195809[1].jpg

I have thought to try resin and fibreglass in that situation but have never got to try it. There is also thread locker used on the oil well casing shoe. Thought to try that stuff also. And could put your own finger grips in it. With rubber gloves for sure.

I think you're in uncharted territory as far as DIY complete steering wheel restoration. If you were just filling in some cracks, JB Weld or another epoxy putty type product would be ideal, but you're talking about completely reforming the entire rim of the steering wheel. There used to be a guy that refurbished steering wheels but I think he may have retired. Others may know different.

I'd imagine you would make some kind of mold to set the wheel in, and pour some kind of epoxy resin in, let it set, and sand it to shape. Easiest mold to make would be a square "trench" and then sand the wheel to round. There are lots of epoxy resins on the market and they can be colored with dyes. Only thing I'd be concerned with is the wheel flexing and the epoxy not being flexible.

It would take a LOT of leather to make it thick enough to get a grip on it.

Is there a reason you don't want to buy a new steering wheel? I understand that this one is presumably "original" but it's rusty and bent.

Sweet manufacturing in Kalamazoo Michigan makes steering wheels for race cars. Maybe they could put new grip on yours. Call them and check it out. If you do, let us know what they say.
Dave

Hello guys. I got this steering wheel that needs something done. The black material around the steel always used to leave a residue on my hands. Plan is to go ahead and knock the rest of it off. Is there any kind of treatment or epoxy coating that can go on to replace what is there? Otherwise I can wrap it with leather or something similar. Thanks.View attachment 66534View attachment 66535

I have used Bondo on steering wheels with good success, then painted them with an acrylic spray paint. Has held up more than 20 years so far.

But, I don't think the ones I worked on were as far gone as yours is. It would probably still work, but you would have to apply several thin layers and have patience.

I did a "temporary" repair on my H by splitting a fuel hose and then wrapping with electrical tape, That was over 20 years ago, Still holding!

Thanks. Don't really want to buy another one. Bondo is easy to get so I googled Bondo on a steering wheel. Ended up on a Packard forum and other places with plenty of recommendations from Marine-tex and PC7 being the top ones with POR-15, J-B weld, and Bondo all coming behind. Some had great results with Bondo and others said it wasn't flexible enough for a steering wheel. What I found after looking at those on youtube videos is that most of them are paste type fillers good for cracks, etc. but probably hard to fill in missing chunks on mine unless putting on multiple layers with the patience to do so. There is also a difference in steering wheel materials that when you take a dremel to a crack it either grinds up like a powder or chunks out in pieces like plastic.

A packard guy used por-15 with good results on an old steering wheel and it is a filler that mixes together like playdoh which is probably what I need anyway and form it around using rubber/plastic gloves. There are some other brands of the playdoh type epoxy so I'll see what is available at walmart or ace. Then spray it down with some black enamel spray or some kind of gelcoat. If the epoxy doesn't hold then it looks like fuel line and tape will be in store for this old 2606 clunker so I can get it running. Of course I'll have to find the right tape that will hold up in all kinds of weather over time.

So far my plan for the 2606 is to search around and see how the coil and alternator were wired up, reinstall the dash panel and steering wheel, then add the battery, put in gas, oil, and water, guess at the timing and sometime later next week fire it up after having had the engine rebuilt 3 years ago.

Thanks. Don't really want to buy another one. Bondo is easy to get so I googled Bondo on a steering wheel. Ended up on a Packard forum and other places with plenty of recommendations from Marine-tex and PC7 being the top ones with POR-15, J-B weld, and Bondo all coming behind. Some had great results with Bondo and others said it wasn't flexible enough for a steering wheel. What I found after looking at those on youtube videos is that most of them are paste type fillers good for cracks, etc. but probably hard to fill in missing chunks on mine unless putting on multiple layers with the patience to do so. There is also a difference in steering wheel materials that when you take a dremel to a crack it either grinds up like a powder or chunks out in pieces like plastic.

A packard guy used por-15 with good results on an old steering wheel and it is a filler that mixes together like playdoh which is probably what I need anyway and form it around using rubber/plastic gloves. There are some other brands of the playdoh type epoxy so I'll see what is available at walmart or ace. Then spray it down with some black enamel spray or some kind of gelcoat. If the epoxy doesn't hold then it looks like fuel line and tape will be in store for this old 2606 clunker so I can get it running. Of course I'll have to find the right tape that will hold up in all kinds of weather over time.

So far my plan for the 2606 is to search around and see how the coil and alternator were wired up, reinstall the dash panel and steering wheel, then add the battery, put in gas, oil, and water, guess at the timing and sometime later next week fire it up after having had the engine rebuilt 3 years ago.
Consider that you will be spending a minimum of $45 on the POR-15 epoxy putty vs. $56 shipped to your door for a new steering wheel. Plus a lot of time and a result that's probably going to look like a kid's art project.

If you just want to find out what you have before you spend money on cosmetics, just use the wheel as-is. It will work fine for a test drive. The missing chunks give your hands extra traction...

Consider that you will be spending a minimum of $45 on the POR-15 epoxy putty vs. $56 shipped to your door for a new steering wheel. Plus a lot of time and a result that's probably going to look like a kid's art project.

If you just want to find out what you have before you spend money on cosmetics, just use the wheel as-is. It will work fine for a test drive. The missing chunks give your hands extra traction...
Wearing gloves helps!

That wheel looks better than several of mine. I like the fuel line and electrical tape repair myself. I've also done it and it does work as long as you don't look at it.

Hello guys. I got this steering wheel that needs something done. The black material around the steel always used to leave a residue on my hands. Plan is to go ahead and knock the rest of it off. Is there any kind of treatment or epoxy coating that can go on to replace what is there? Otherwise I can wrap it with leather or something similar. Thanks.View attachment 66534View attachment 66535
Another vote for fuel line and electric tape.....

Unless you just HAVE to have the original wheel,a new 'repro' wheel from YT;Stieners;other would be best. They are not expencice. I have gotten several repro wheels. I am well satisfied.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back