1655/310 retrofit

Having trouble adjusting valve clearance on 1655/310 diesel. Using the 153 624 method.
Adjusting all valves to .030. Now at TDC the #4 intake push rod is loose enough to come out from under the rocker arm. And other pushrods are inadvertenly loose as well. Do I have a valve problem or a camshaft problem? Any thoughts?

I always set one valve if the other is all the way open. Takes a little longer but takes out the variables.

Ed.

Set one set (intake/exhaust) on one cylinder at a time. Turn engine in normal direction of rotation. When exhaust just starts to open set intake. Then turn until intake is at about half way point then set exhaust. This will pretty much guarantee you are on the base lobe. I just start on one end of the engine and work towards the other end as I get confused with were I am at easy in my old age! Requires cranking engine over a few more revolutions but pretty much fool proof, and if you are anything like me you are not in a race to get valve lash set properly. I have always tried to err on the tight side by a couple thou. That .030 the book says on 283/310's seems a little on the loose side to me.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back