175 axle leaking

What do we have leaking here and how do we fix it? Getting ready to do the brakes on this 175 diesel and might as well fix this while we are at it.

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpeg
    IMG_1908.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
It appears the leak might be coming from the planetary axle seal. I am pretty sure a hydraulic press will be needed to do this job. There may be need for shimming of bearings to achieve the proper bearing preload. It would be a great time to have a factory service manual.

If leak is at the GEAR SEAM, the two cork/rubber gaskets need replaced. If leak is at the outer seal, and NOT bad I'd leave it alone. As an OLD MF mechanic replacing that seal is one of the WORST jobs on that model as a heavy press is needed to remove the carrier from the axle stub. It would not hurt to use heavier 140 gear lube, AND below the level plug about one inch as the later models held a lot more oil than needed.

I will try and get some better pics tomorrow. Hopefully it’s the easy fix. And we will change the oil so I’ll put the heavier oil in. Thank you.

I would put about half a tube of John Deere corn head grease in the planetary and top off with 140 wt transmission oil.

Old stuff usually slips off which is ok but not good they have upgraded seal so axle won't wear out two c clips when you get it off
Just have to pull one gear to get to them
If it does not pry off then Will need press and maybe some heat they made special tool long threaded rod and cone shaped nut and you cranked it down has many needle bearings in gears

Old stuff usually slips off which is ok but not good they have upgraded seal so axle won't wear out two c clips when you get it off
Just have to pull one gear to get to them
If it does not pry off then Will need press and maybe some heat they made special tool long threaded rod and cone shaped nut and you cranked it down has many needle bearings in gears
That's how the 65 was with two half clips. The 175/180 carrier is HEAVILY PRESSED on the stub axle, at LEAST a 30 ton press is needed to get it apart and back together, and a ROYAL PAIN compared to the older models.

That's how the 65 was with two half clips. The 175/180 carrier is HEAVILY PRESSED on the stub axle, at LEAST a 30 ton press is needed to get it apart and back together, and a ROYAL PAIN compared to the older models.
I felt my 180 came apart fairly easy. I took a forcing screw and the cross beam from a big puller and it came right apart. It has been soaked in oil its whole life so its not like it is a press fit plus the fight of rust. My 20 ton press put it together plenty fine. A little oil and back it went. I don't believe we used anywhere near 20 ton. It just needs to be a floor model press due to height when pressing it back. Only part that is super annoying is the needles those take a hot minute to get all back in there and the shaft through.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back