180 diesel looses rpms and power

My 180 has been acting up. When warm it looses power at full throttle and if you idle down it will quit. We have changed the fuel filter and made sure the sediment bowl is clean. It has done it off and on since last fall. Is this possibly an injector pump issue or should I be looking somewhere else?

Yes, it MIGHT be the injection pump. Confirm it's the pump by running engine until it acts up again, then loosen the two screw timing cover on the pump side. If engine acts OK WITH the fuel leak, but slows down/dies with the cover tight, it's confirmed injection pump needs repair. DON'T knock out the return line fitting ball and keep running engine, or soon the retainer pins WILL shear off, seizing the pump hydraulic head and breaking the drive shaft. I hate when pumps come in for repair when the head is seized, gets expensive fast...

My 185 did it, had the pump rebuilt but once installed it started doing it again. The old guy at the shop that rebuilt it said check the shaft that drives the pump. Turned out it was a roll pin that keeps that cog from moving and getting the pump out of time, just something to check. replacing that pin is a few bucks back in 2005 it cost me $400.00 to get the pump rebuilt.

If it loses power, accompanied by black smoke, then won't run at idle..........it's possibly on the verge of seizing. If it cranks hard to restart, that's generally the sign to shut it down before you do any more damage.

I'm sure I'm way out in left field,, but I had two 190's do this. One seized just as I made it to the front gate, the other was immediately shut down, and towed home.

I'm fully expecting a spun crank bearing, but praying for a seized piston.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back