1929 Farmall regular, cylinder pitted from being stuck , can I get by with just honing the cylinder clean or do I need to replace the sleeve?

Well you are all ready there with the head off 350 dollars gets you everything you need to do the whole thing all 4 holes all new pistons all new rings. Done. I doubt you could have 4 holes honed for that unless you want to take a crack at it yourself. Cant justify time doing it twice that’s for sure
Where can you get new sleeves, pistons & rings for a Regular for $350?

This motor was stuck, we didn't disassemble anything in the block ,got it unstuck, honed the sleeves, ( pistons in) it ran great, no smoke, good oil pressure, great compression..... But everyone said it couldn't be done. It runs a few hours a year. We ain't planting 100 acres of cotton or racing Indy.... Give it a shot.

Attachments

• 1000001849.jpg
    1000001849.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 53
This motor was stuck, we didn't disassemble anything in the block ,got it unstuck, honed the sleeves, ( pistons in) it ran great, no smoke, good oil pressure, great compression..... But everyone said it couldn't be done. It runs a few hours a year. We ain't planting 100 acres of cotton or racing Indy.... Give it a shot.
I remember that project but I didn’t know you didn’t the pistons out. That’s quite an accomplishment!
The op’s engine turns about 800 rpm less than your B, and his cylinder doesn’t look as bad as yours. No reason it shouldn’t work.

For that price I’d buy them and I don’t even want any.
Whoops the 2 of you are correct I got onto a c-221 dry sleeve. It looks like this might be more difficult to find than I had hoped. Anybody know of anything else that fits it? F-20 looks like it is the same size but I don't think that helps any? bore is 3.75x5?

some of u guys amaze me these comments, so i dont actually think u's have even had an engine apart. u have failed your practical test.
You think what you want to. If it was mine i would hone it, ring it, run it. 5 to 10 even 20 hours a year it will be running when most of us are pushing up daisies. Again, tractor is not going to make a 1000 acre crop. Have done several that looked that bad. Run fine. Your money, your time, you do whatever you want too.

You think what you want to. If it was mine i would hone it, ring it, run it. 5 to 10 even 20 hours a year it will be running when most of us are pushing up daisies. Again, tractor is not going to make a 1000 acre crop. Have done several that looked that bad. Run fine. Your money, your time, you do whatever you want too.
Bingo!

Hone it. Ring it. Run it!!!!! 5 hours a year will never know it.

hone it. Ring it. Run it!!!! For 5 to 10 hours a year it will be fine. I dont think you plan on “making a crop” with it as the saying goes.
If it was mine and I had Rustred's money, I'd take it to a machine shop and get it totally rebuilt so it runs better than new. If it was mine and it was only gonna run a couple 3 hours a year, I'd do it as cheap as possible, hone the snot out of it, new rings and put her back together. So what if it burns a little oil and you have to clean the spark plugs every time you use it, you're still $$ ahead.

I think Grandpa Loves idea of “no smoke” is probably a different version than most folks would have. I can’t see how it could be any other way. It would be different if he would have changed the rings. I just wouldn’t have it in me to put a head back on an engine that looked like that if I knew it could be improved. I suppose if you get used to short cutting everything to economize on the expenses against a tractor maybe you do learn a few things about that methodology. However, I am not saying GL doesn’t do a good job of saving those Cubs!

If it was mine and I had Rustred's money, I'd take it to a machine shop and get it totally rebuilt so it runs better than new. If it was mine and it was only gonna run a couple 3 hours a year, I'd do it as cheap as possible, hone the snot out of it, new rings and put her back together. So what if it burns a little oil and you have to clean the spark plugs every time you use it, you're still $$ ahead.
AMEN 👍

i wish i had the money, but i sure do know when the job is done correctly or ham hashed together, and i do know right from wrong . and i do know when something will work and when its a waste of money. and of course you will make it run like that ,... but read the outcomes already posted . and another reason when some one tells me they just overhauled their engine. that really gets me nervous knowing it can be lipstick on a pig. all my work is also guaranteed. just a few days ago it was said its silly season time on yt now, and it showed up here too. i also do know i would not run that pitted cylinder with pits as deep as a spark plug gap. and the ones saying u can hone them pits out, i also know that they have not honed a cylinder nor how to use one. and if you did happen to hone them pits out you would have no compression on that cylinder, it would be so oversized. this poor guy asked for a good honest professional opinion on his tractor which don't look like a basket case and you guys telling him to reuse that sleeve,...🤷‍♂️ that is just so wrong. maybe the moderator should take points away for goofy answers. in this case its very easy to see them deep pits that i dont think most can even visualize in the photo, just look up above the shiny part , the rust has eaten the metal right out of the sleeve. i also have mega experience working on stuck engines. i bet if you had this customer in a shop and told him to reuse that sleeve , he would look at you likeo_O then pull his tractor out.

i wish i had the money, but i sure do know when the job is done correctly or ham hashed together, and i do know right from wrong . and i do know when something will work and when its a waste of money. and of course you will make it run like that ,... but read the outcomes already posted . and another reason when some one tells me they just overhauled their engine. that really gets me nervous knowing it can be lipstick on a pig. all my work is also guaranteed. just a few days ago it was said its silly season time on yt now, and it showed up here too. i also do know i would not run that pitted cylinder with pits as deep as a spark plug gap. and the ones saying u can hone them pits out, i also know that they have not honed a cylinder nor how to use one. and if you did happen to hone them pits out you would have no compression on that cylinder, it would be so oversized. this poor guy asked for a good honest professional opinion on his tractor which don't look like a basket case and you guys telling him to reuse that sleeve,...🤷‍♂️ that is just so wrong. maybe the moderator should take points away for goofy answers. in this case its very easy to see them deep pits that i dont think most can even visualize in the photo, just look up above the shiny part , the rust has eaten the metal right out of the sleeve. i also have mega experience working on stuck engines. i bet if you had this customer in a shop and told him to reuse that sleeve , he would look at you likeo_O then pull his tractor out.
Thanks for being honest about the pitting.
I’m going to replace the piston and sleeve.

You think I should try putting together and run it , did your cylinders have pitting after you were done honing ?
IMG_9609.jpeg

I think Grandpa Loves idea of “no smoke” is probably a different version than most folks would have. I can’t see how it could be any other way. It would be different if he would have changed the rings. I just wouldn’t have it in me to put a head back on an engine that looked like that if I knew it could be improved. I suppose if you get used to short cutting everything to economize on the expenses against a tractor maybe you do learn a few things about that methodology. However, I am not saying GL doesn’t do a good job of saving those Cubs!
Video of that B running, I see no smoke?? Do you? Is my idea of no smoke the same as yours??

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back