1956 400 Transmission Noise

SouthIL400

Greetings,
My 1956 400 Gas round nose has what I would call a noisy transmission. Hard to describe the noise with words, but it is definitely a whine. With no load, and in the higher range of gears it seems noisy to my ears. My questions are this. Is this a normal(known)thing? Could this be a problem? How much whine is too much?
Thank you in advance.

not normal. the diff bearings could be worn and changed the crown and pinion pattern and thats what it is. once that happens you will not get the whine out by replacing brgs only. need to live with it. needs a tear down and inspection.

High and low gears in that tractor are straight cut. Later 30 serias are helical cut = less noise. Diferential bearings won't make noise exept maybe in high gear.400 tractors are naturly noisy but you could have bearing going out in trans.

i am not saying the brgs. are making the noise,... its when the bggs wear and u loose preload and the crown and pinion changes pattern. it will never keep the same pattern with loose brgs. the crown and pinion is always the culprit, not straight cut trans gears. i know what i am saying.

Rustred may be correct, longcases, may be correct. I've driven my 1955 400 Case (411) in the three day WHO Radio Great Iowa Tractor ride 13 years now. Approximately 200 miles over three days. The 400 has always been noisey in road gear at about 12 mph. I don't think I would worry too much about your 400's tranny noise. But you know your not alone. Enjoy your 400. A tough old Eagle. gobble

Rustred is right

Probably in the pinion area!

Not a game changer just a noisy transmission

If it bothers you a bunch a tear down is in order

I wear earmuffs on my DC

It's impossible to tell without actually hearing it, but those are noisy. Mine is most noticeable in high 1

Have a 411 - tranny noise in road gear is definitely normal. We've had that tractor since 1970. It's always done it.

Matt

Thank you all for the information on the transmission noise. It seems we have two sides of thinking, one side says it probably needs attention, other side says it's typical. My knowledge and my wallet put me into its typical camp. I'll keep an eye and ear on it for any changes.
Once again I thank everyone for their time and willingness to help a novice.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back