1956 JD 60 wiring

jd2cyl

I've had my JD 60 down for some transmission work and decided to replace the chopped up wiring now. Bought a kit from Brillman and they have a wire to go from the ignition coil + to combo switch gnd or mag. I have no such original wire like that now. tractor runs fine without it. just wondering where on the switch this wire would go, assume it would be on the end of the resistor from the head lights.

Thanks, Russ

Mornin JD, Im not exactly sure what you are asking, some doesn't sound kosher (it was original POS ground with coils + to distributor) and it depends on IFFFFF your tractor has or was modified to use a 6 volt coil PLUS the added in line series voltage dropping (12 to 6) ballast resistor and ballast by pass when cranking feature..

HERES THE DEAL if it uses 6 volt coil plus ballast and ballast by pass when cranking and is POS Ground:

NOTE there are FOUR wires on coil/ballast output, 2 on + 2 on -

The Ignition switch feeds the ballast INPUT when ON,,,,,,,Ballast OUTPUT feeds the Coils - terminal, Coils + wires to distributor for POS Ground.

Theres an EXTRA SECOND wire on coils - INPUT/Ballast OUTPUT up from starter switch TO FEED UNBALLASTED BATTERY VOLTAGE TO COIL ONLY WHEN CRANKING for improved cold weather starting

Theres another EXTRA SECOND wire on coils + output that wires to MAG or Ground (if ON) on SOME factory correct ignition switches.....Thats a safety feature so if you step on starter with ignition off theres no spark, as without it she could fire if cranked even if switch is OFF

Soooooooo thats how it works and why there are 2 wires on each coil terminal (or ballast output which is same) HOWEVER Im unsure of your tractor your ignition your polarity and your switch but if you understand how it works you can figure it out MAYBE LOL

NOTE this is from OLD memory no warranty see if others can post a wiring diagram or correct me if this is wrong MY BAD

John T

John T,
I always read your responses for what wisdom you impart. I've copied off your troubleshooting instructions also.
After reading what I wrote again, the part about the GND wire going to the resistor (how the lights are dimmed) was way off, I should have known better. I'm attaching the wiring diagram for the manual which shows the wire in question, says it should be brown. I've checked the parts manual and there is a serial number break for the switch so my assumption is one switch would have a lug for ground and the other not. My existing switch has no lug that shows continuity to the switch case.
Thanks again, Russ
cvphoto166313.jpg

In the event you don't have any Mag or Ground switch terminal she will still work. On 12 volt tractors that used a 6 volt coil plus ballast and ballast by pass when cranking the switches Mag/Ground terminal was as I noted above to kill any spark if the starter was engaged with ignition OFF. Yep one on switch resistor is for dimming lights nothing to do with ignition ballast 6/12 resistor

You got this

John T

Mornin JD, Im not exactly sure what you are asking, some doesn't sound kosher (it was original POS ground with coils + to distributor) and it depends on IFFFFF your tractor has or was modified to use a 6 volt coil PLUS the added in line series voltage dropping (12 to 6) ballast resistor and ballast by pass when cranking feature..

HERES THE DEAL if it uses 6 volt coil plus ballast and ballast by pass when cranking and is POS Ground:

NOTE there are FOUR wires on coil/ballast output, 2 on + 2 on -

The Ignition switch feeds the ballast INPUT when ON,,,,,,,Ballast OUTPUT feeds the Coils - terminal, Coils + wires to distributor for POS Ground.

Theres an EXTRA SECOND wire on coils - INPUT/Ballast OUTPUT up from starter switch TO FEED UNBALLASTED BATTERY VOLTAGE TO COIL ONLY WHEN CRANKING for improved cold weather starting

Theres another EXTRA SECOND wire on coils + output that wires to MAG or Ground (if ON) on SOME factory correct ignition switches.....Thats a safety feature so if you step on starter with ignition off theres no spark, as without it she could fire if cranked even if switch is OFF

Soooooooo thats how it works and why there are 2 wires on each coil terminal (or ballast output which is same) HOWEVER Im unsure of your tractor your ignition your polarity and your switch but if you understand how it works you can figure it out MAYBE LOL

NOTE this is from OLD memory no warranty see if others can post a wiring diagram or correct me if this is wrong MY BAD

John T
I just posted this same wire issue and never gave one thought to that wire being a ground to prevent accidental start up from hitting pedal and firing up thank you.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back