1957-960-5 Row Crop Packing Material Options.

Btzj02

Hi all. I have been participating on the 8N site for a few years and I have recently purchased a new project and this is my first post on this site. I am just starting to tear down a 1957 960-5 Wide Front Row Crop. I am starting to find that all gaskets are not available but, I am getting pretty good at making my own. My question is replacing packing, specifically on the steering column/gear. I am thinking of using thin Graphite valve stem packing but thought I would ask and see what everyone else has used with success.

Thanks

(quoted from post at 07:47:55 12/23/23) Hi all. I have been participating on the 8N site for a few years and I have recently purchased a new project and this is my first post on this site. I am just starting to tear down a 1957 960-5 Wide Front Row Crop. I am starting to find that all gaskets are not available but, I am getting pretty good at making my own. My question is replacing packing, specifically on the steering column/gear. I am thinking of using thin Graphite valve stem packing but thought I would ask and see what everyone else has used with success.

Thanks

I don't know if this is what you are asking about, but your reference to "steering column" tells me that you are asking about the seal at the top of the tube under the steering wheel. Messick's has 14 on hand.

I am refering to the packing on the bottom the column shaft and on the sector gear shaft. Part number 3564-A and 33546-A. I don't have it dissasembled yet so not sure what it looks like. Might be able to find an off the shelf part that will work.

I assume that you mean NCB3564A and NCB33546A. partspring shows them both as no longer available, but Messicks has a "Parts Locator" button on parts that are officially no longer available, and that Parts Locator claims that there are 3 of part number NCB33546A available at an "obsolete warehouse", whatever that means. The other part number, NCB3564A, shows as unavailable even with their Parts Locator, but you can enter your contact information and they will contact you if it does become available.

[u:c3c759b341]Link to part number NCB33546A on Messicks Parts Locator[/u:c3c759b341]

[u:c3c759b341]Link to part number NCB3564A on Messicks Parts Locator[/u:c3c759b341]

An update: My steering column is back together with no leaks. I did two things due to the lack of new packing. I used the white plumbing pipe dope for oil service on the threads of the adjusting screws and I used 1/8 graphite packing rope packed into the packing space under both locking nuts. So far so good!

Did you use the original gear oil when you refilled it? If so, and it begins to leak again, try replacing it with NIGL #0 grease, which you can buy at a JD dealer as "Corn Head Grease". It is thinner than most regular greases, but not quite as liquid as gear oil and it will lubricate the gears inside just fine without the tendency to leak.

Did you use the original gear oil when you refilled it? If so, and it begins to leak again, try replacing it with NIGL #0 grease, which you can buy at a JD dealer as "Corn Head Grease". It is thinner than most regular greases, but not quite as liquid as gear oil and it will lubricate the gears inside just fine without the tendency to leak.
I replaced with 80W90. So far so good, no leaks. I will find out this summer if it holds!

I am refering to the packing on the bottom the column shaft and on the sector gear shaft. Part number 3564-A and 33546-A. I don't have it dissasembled yet so not sure what it looks like. Might be able to find an off the shelf part that will work.
Nothing special about the sector shaft seals, and they are available from multiple sources.

That said, new seals will quickly leak if the sector shaft bushings/shafts are worn.

Having replaced both bushings and seals as necessary, fill with CNH Pourable High EP grease and you should be good to go for several lifetimes. Yes, your CNH dealer will likely need to order it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back