1960 Craftsman Wood Lathe Motor Position

Glenn F.

I have been looking at stands for my Craftsman 113 wood lathe. I like the shorter stand length required when positioning motor like this (not the best photo) but would it get in the way when turning a 12” bowl?

I know this is not everyone’s favorite lathe but it’s what I have. I enjoy all the trades so I can’t always justify higher end tools.

Thank you,
Glenn F.

Attachments

• IMG_2667.png
    IMG_2667.png
    428 KB · Views: 34
Can the motor be mounted on the other side of its pulley? That'll keep it out of the way of of large turnings. Also........in wood turning.....mass is your friend. A heavy top, and a heavy stand, even with ballast added, are a big help when turning out of balance pieces. My 16x48 Jet lathe, even though it weighs around 500 lbs, is provided for a pair of 2x4s in the cast legs to mount a ballast box in. My ballast box contains nearly 500# of stone, and the machine is very sold when I put a 35# piece of wood in it.

You can use a long enough belt to give you the working space, IF you don't put the motor the other way round like B.Pete suggests. A lot of electric motors nowadays are reversible by switching the wiring under the cover plate. I'm thinking about mounting mine above and behind the headstock. It's currently in the way when I want to put my cross slide up close to the headstock. steve

That illustration is a terrible place for the motor!

Down below the table with a longer belt and on the other side of the spindle would be much better as for keeping it away from the turning dust. A TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor would be best, but use what you have, try to shield it, and keep it clean of sawdust.

The limiting factor on diameter is the distance from the center of the spindle to the bed (the ways). Not much you can do about that without compromising the strength and trueness of the lathe.

That illustration is a terrible place for the motor!

Down below the table with a longer belt and on the other side of the spindle would be much better as for keeping it away from the turning dust. A TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor would be best, but use what you have, try to shield it, and keep it clean of sawdust.

The limiting factor on diameter is the distance from the center of the spindle to the bed (the ways). Not much you can do about that without compromising the strength and trueness of the lathe.
Yeah, below the table. Only place for it.

You need to figure out the comfortable working height for you. Allow the extra distance for a mobile base if you're interested in that.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back