1963 Ford 2000 Hydraulic Filter

DIYAndy

I searched, but didn't see where this had been asked before. Is there a way to add a hydraulic filter to my 1963 2000, 4cyl gas. I had the top lid off doing a rebuild and saw what I deem to be contamination in the fluid. I've drained the fluid, but really would like to add a filter if there's any way to do it. Your help is most appreciated. Hydraulic pump is the piston pump.

I searched, but didn't see where this had been asked before. Is there a way to add a hydraulic filter to my 1963 2000, 4cyl gas. I had the top lid off doing a rebuild and saw what I deem to be contamination in the fluid. I've drained the fluid, but really would like to add a filter if there's any way to do it. Your help is most appreciated. Hydraulic pump is the piston pump.
Once upon a time, Ford offered an optional hydraulic filter package for tractors such as yours but such has not been available for decades.

Likelihood of finding one in a salvage yard is about the same as finding a unicorn.

Thoroughly clean the sump, add new oil, and live with it.

Dean is correct. Plus, there are literally tens of thousands of the 1953-1964 Ford tractors still out there running strong, and over 99% of them never had a hydraulic filter, so I wouldn't worry about it. Change the fluids regularly and keep everything else on the tractor maintained properly and use it like it was intended. I would worry more about changing the oil regularly in the oil bath air cleaner if it has one of those.

Dean is correct. Plus, there are literally tens of thousands of the 1953-1964 Ford tractors still out there running strong, and over 99% of them never had a hydraulic filter, so I wouldn't worry about it. Change the fluids regularly and keep everything else on the tractor maintained properly and use it like it was intended. I would worry more about changing the oil regularly in the oil bath air cleaner if it has one of those.
I would say they didn't have hyd filters till later. I don't know about the large Fords but the under 55 hp tractors didn't get a filter till 1976.

I would say they didn't have hyd filters till later. I don't know about the large Fords but the under 55 hp tractors didn't get a filter till 1976.
As far as I know, the 1965 model year 3 cylinder tractors had filters on both the pickup and return lines stock. Those were both under the top cover though, and not replaceable without opening it up. The stock external spin-on filters were introduced with the 1975 2600/3600/4600/5600 series. As Dean said, Ford did offer a kit for the pre-1965 4 cylinder models to add an external spin-on filter.

OEM filter for 4 cylinder Fords here: https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/threads/x01-hydraulic-filter.1542629/

As far as I know, the 1965 model year 3 cylinder tractors had filters on both the pickup and return lines stock. Those were both under the top cover though, and not replaceable without opening it up. The stock external spin-on filters were introduced with the 1975 2600/3600/4600/5600 series. As Dean said, Ford did offer a kit for the pre-1965 4 cylinder models to add an external spin-on filter.
Depends on what we are calling a filter?
I agree the 65-75 models did have a "screen" on the intake that could filter out particles as small as maybe .030" (760 microns) in diameter.
There was No provision for simple cleanings or renewals on those.
I thought the OP was inquiring about what is commonly referred to as an "oil or hydraulic filter".
An oil filter will remove particles in the .0008" to .0016" (20 - 40 micron) range. They are normally a simple affair to clean or renew.

Most of the contamination in the hydraulic oil is usually due to moisture from condensation. When your tractor was earning its keep in its early days it got worked hard enough for the oil to get hot enough for the water to be driven off often enough for it to not be a problem. If you use old standard hydraulic oi you can just eliminate it by draining it off the bottom annually. modern UTF hyd. oil absorbs moisture, so you have to change it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back