1963 Ford 4000 Select-O-Speed, PTO slipping.

DLPinnix78

New User
Still working on my late grandfathers 1963 4000SOS. The PTO slips when under a load. It was working fine, then we noticed it slipping. There was no work done to the tractor between it working and not working. Fluids look good, everything else works and shifts properly. We had a manual but since he passed I haven't located it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Still working on my late grandfathers 1963 4000SOS. The PTO slips when under a load. It was working fine, then we noticed it slipping. There was no work done to the tractor between it working and not working. Fluids look good, everything else works and shifts properly. We had a manual but since he passed I haven't located it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The only experience I've had with Select O Speed was a Ford 970, but as I recall the PTO was engaged hydraulically.

That's about all I know about them. Back when I was with a public school district, we had the 970 that we bladed snow with in the winter and ran on a 7' finish mower in the summer for the football field and larger areas. You couldn't have asked for a more perfect match than that tractor and mower combination.

If no forward gears slip, try adjusting the pto cable, you will need an I&T manual for info how this is done.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back