1974 5000 8spd PTO leak

Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

johnofnewhaven

Oil is leaking out around my PTO shaft. According to what I can tell I just need to remove the bearing retainer (part 48) and the oil seal is right there. I won't need to remove the PTO output shaft. Is that correct? One thing that doesn't show is there is a retaining clip inside the bearing retainer and I will need to remove that too. Seems to easy. What am I missing? Thank you for your help!
cvphoto168682.jpg

Simple job. Start by either draining some oil out of the rear axle or else pointing the front end of the tractor downhill. Remove bolts holding retainer #48 and pull off. Don't lose or misplace any shims that might come along with it - these control the bearing end play of your shaft. Dig out the old seal and drive in the new one, it's really that simple.

You may wish to check the end play of the shaft with a dial indicator before you pull the housing off. If it's much above .005'', you can subtract shims as necessary to get you in the .003 - .005'' range.

Edit to add: I think the job might be a little tougher than I originally led you to believe. As I recall, the bearing cup will need to be pulled out before you can get the seal out, because the OD of the seal is larger than the ID of the cup. To remove said cup you'll need a slide hammer and pulling attachment, or you can weld a bead all the way around on the race and it will come out easily. Of course you'll need to order a new race along with the seal.

The PTO shaft itself will stay in place when you pull the retainer off, as it cannot come out even if you tried.

Can't the seal just be pulled out of the bearing cup without pulling the bearing cup? Also why does the diagram not show the retaining clip that I see. Looks like that's the first thing I need to remove.

Ok I think I understand the more I think about it. The bearing and bearing cup (race) will come out with part 48 and the oil seal is between part 48 and the bearings and bearing cup. Do I have that correct?

if you see a retaining clip then you have a 2 speed pto. that would be a different parts diagram than what is posted

Yes, you have a 2-speed PTO, which is significantly different than the single speed version. In this case, drain oil or point the front end down as I instructed earlier. Remove the 4 bolts holding the bearing retainer on and MAKE SURE the shaft stays in place while you remove the retainer. If you're careless, the shaft will come out with the bearing retainer, and then you'll get to dive in deep to fish out some dropped thrust washers.

Once the retainer is off, pry the old seal out and drive a new one in. Also, a leak back there could be between the shaft and the coupler it goes in - it is sealed with an o-ring. If I were you I'd start by figuring out exactly where the oil is coming from. If it's the seal only, snap ring can stay in place.

Ok so you are saying do not remove the PTO output shaft at all. Just remove the bearing retainer. So the PTO shaft will still be in the tractor???

(quoted from post at 16:48:07 12/17/23) Ok so you are saying do not remove the PTO output shaft at all. Just remove the bearing retainer. So the PTO shaft will still be in the tractor???

The two speed PTO has a stub shaft that is what you see sticking out of the back of the bearing retainer. You remove that circlip to remove the coarse spline 540 RPM stub shaft to replace it with the the fine spline 1000 rpm PTO stub shaft. That is all external to the seal.

Ok got it. Now what about the O-ring? I see that in the parts diagram and you mentioned it so what's it take to replace that?

There is a oring that seals the changeable pto shaft. Its a -140 oring that is replacable after removing pto shaft. So leak may be around it as they get flat with age.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back