1st Time Buyer - 770 value

NoconaOwner

New User
Hello all. First time on this forum. I just acquired some property and realizing I need a tractor. Uses will be gravel road maintenance, mowing, general work around the land and barn as well as food plot prep. The former land owner is offering to sell me his 1997 John Deer 770, 25HP, 4WD, 750 hours, with bucket, box blade, mower and trailer for $10k.

He replaced the hydraulic hoses and replaced the seat.

Is this a fair deal or value? Thanks!

The 770 John Deere was built by Yanmar of Japan and is a good tough tractor. The 770 series should be a 3 cylinder hydrostatic drive unit. I have a 1981 model plain 650 which is a smaller gear type 2 cylinder 2 wheel drive and it is a very good reliable machine. Mine is very fuel stingy.

One thing let me caution you about, never use starting fluid in cranking it. The books says not to but I foolishly loaned mine out last spring to a friend and when the battery got weak he sprayed starting fluid in it. The starting fluid took the top of the first compression ring grove off and the top of the piston also.

(quoted from post at 17:38:35 04/26/22) The 770 John Deere was built by Yanmar of Japan and is a good tough tractor. The 770 series should be a 3 cylinder hydrostatic drive unit. I have a 1981 model plain 650 which is a smaller gear type 2 cylinder 2 wheel drive and it is a very good reliable machine. Mine is very fuel stingy.

One thing let me caution you about, never use starting fluid in cranking it. The books says not to but I foolishly loaned mine out last spring to a friend and when the battery got weak he sprayed starting fluid in it. The starting fluid took the top of the first compression ring grove off and the top of the piston also.

Thats good to know! Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back