2-85 white tractor - need help please

cdziadek

New User
So I have 2 of these 2-85 white tractors. One had a bad trans but recently overhauled engine and clutch. So I pulled it complete with powershift and put it in a low houred one. Installed pto shaft I believe to be all the way forward. Now I can't get the clutch to disengage with the pedal. I've adjusted the linkage and rolled engine over while trying to push pto further forward but I believe it's where it's supposed to be. Confused as to what is going on here. Any help would be great as I'm not looking forward to pulling engine again! Note I didn't touch the powershift or clutch housing at all just separated it at the trunion on both engines.

The friction disc in the clutch might be stuck to the flywheel.

The only time I had that happen was with my Chevy pickup. The clutch was recently replaced new, and the truck had sat unused through the Winter.

PTO shaft wouldn't have anything to do with it. That goes in to a hub in the center of the flywheel. My guess would
be the linkage on the one you put the engine in is adjusted different than the one you took it out of. Give me a
little time to think about it.

Is it a fiber or a button clutch? Got me wondering now if the clutch is stuck to the flywheel? How long did it sit?
Do you have some help so you could tow it? Put it in low gear with the engine off and tow it in low gear with the
pedal pushed down.

Is the PTO in far enough to get the snap ring in?

Does the pedal feel correct? easy push through the freeplay, then stiffens up and is hard top push (normal) the remainder. If so the disc to Flywheel stuck issue is likely. Can you aim it out the door and start it in gear tosee if driving it breaks it loose.
If it feels wrong, then this is not the issue. Jim

Yes I actually have at least a 1/4 inch between the plug or dummy shaft and the snap ring. Will give it a pull with our wheel loader later today or tommorrow and see if that cures it. Thanks for the help!

Hello CD welcome to YT! I am not an Oliver and White guy, rrlund will know for sure but if that tractor has an U-O-D I do not think pulling it will work. I have heard that spraying brake clean on them has worked to get them unstuck. Be careful starting it in gear if that works, something that new probably has a neutral switch to bypass to do that.

All I am wondering if u pulled the pto shaft out and then
see if the clutch will disengage ?

Do you know if it disengaged in the tractor with the bad trans? If it did hard to believe the below could be the problem, but maybe? This pic
is a clutch out of a 2-70 and same symptom.
cvphoto149011.jpg

I am with Mr Lund on pto shaft having nothing to do with it.

Thanks again everyone for all your help
and ideas. Turns out the clutch disc was
stuck to the flywheel. Sprayed brake
kleen and drove it 100 ft, as soon as i
shifted it with the O/U with the clutch
pedal pushed in it freed itself. Looking
forward to putting it to work on a haybine
this summer!

Why would you not give us this correct info in the first
place. You had us thinking u were working on it and it was
doing this on start up. At least thats the way I read your
post. If u would have said the tractor was sitting , then it
is yes it would be a very easy diagnosis. Not getting
everyone pulling their hair out. Well at least we had feed
back.

Ya well , youre late on giving us this very help ful info.
You got two different storys going on here.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back