2555 brake question. Maybe the last one

I think we've found the problem with the left brake (as mentioned in my earlier posts on the subject) where it would seem to work with tractor parked and then simply fade away once the tractor started to move. Long story short, I believe all that was caused by sections of brake disc lining material broken off, sliding around, sometimes doubling up and affecting brake piston travel.

It seems the 55 series may have been one of the first series where Deere installed the brake retractor spring assemblies that have been used in many subsequent models. Item #1 in the diagram below. It seems the design of these gadgets will severely limit the amount of piston travel available when brake pressure is applied. When installed, they pretty much have to be in a certain position that allows freedom for the brake disc to rotate within it's limited space while the pistons are retracted. At the same time there has to be sufficient piston travel available to properly clamp the disc between the piston and the reaction plate so as to provide the needed braking action. That travel plus a little bit more to endure the same effect as the disc lining wears down (if it does).

Now for the question. My I&T manual on this tractor hardly makes mention of the retractor spring assemblies, and no mention at all of installation, adjustment or measurement of the piston assembly required in order to accomplish all that. So how do I do that?

My brake repair experience on some later models was such that the manual provided information on the dimensions involved and how to measure the minimums and maximums allowed. Without that, I'm basically just "winging it" here, I guess if I dig out enough measuring devises and spend enough time measuring and calculating, I can probably get it close enough to run, but it might be helpful to know what the Deerecommended proceedure is. I&T certainly didn't provide it.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/60847/referrer/navigation/pgId/390482667

It's difficult to follow the description of your problem. What's happening? Brake chatter? No brakes? Grabbing brakes? Pulling left or right? Brake lining should not be loose or disintigrating
unless the wrong trans oil was used.

There is no longer any question of the brake problem. The parts are all on the floor now, and new parts are on order.

The only problem we have left here is figuring out how to install the brake piston back into the planetary ring gear housing correctly, and then determine how far the three roll pins on the retractor springs need to drive in.

Did you look at the page I linked to? The piston (item 4) has three spring assemblies (item 1) threaded into the back side of it. That piston and the three springs fit into a housing. (item 10 in the link below) Each spring unit is inside a roll pin that fits tightly into a bore in that housing. They need to be pressed or driven into those respective bores. How far they're pressed in determines the distance between piston (4) and plate (6). That distance must allow for disc (5) to rotate freely when operating the tractor and not applying brakes, yet the piston must have sufficient travel when the brake IS applied to grip the disc and provide the braking action.

I'm hoping for some information on how that's done and what measurements am I looking for when the piston is in place and at the proper depth. If I go too far, the piston may not have enough travel to grab the disc. If it's too shallow, the brake will be too tight and will likely drag. There's really not a lot of room for guesswork here.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/60847/referrer/navigation/pgId/390482635

(quoted from post at 20:48:30 10/31/23) There is no longer any question of the brake problem. The parts are all on the floor now, and new parts are on order.

The only problem we have left here is figuring out how to install the brake piston back into the planetary ring gear housing correctly, and then determine how far the three roll pins on the retractor springs need to drive in.

Did you look at the page I linked to? The piston (item 4) has three spring assemblies (item 1) threaded into the back side of it. That piston and the three springs fit into a housing. (item 10 in the link below) Each spring unit is inside a roll pin that fits tightly into a bore in that housing. They need to be pressed or driven into those respective bores. How far they're pressed in determines the distance between piston (4) and plate (6). That distance must allow for disc (5) to rotate freely when operating the tractor and not applying brakes, yet the piston must have sufficient travel when the brake IS applied to grip the disc and provide the braking action.

I'm hoping for some information on how that's done and what measurements am I looking for when the piston is in place and at the proper depth. If I go too far, the piston may not have enough travel to grab the disc. If it's too shallow, the brake will be too tight and will likely drag. There's really not a lot of room for guesswork here.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/60847/referrer/navigation/pgId/390482635

I don't have a 2555 and none of the JD manuals I have show that brake arrangement. Have you tried asking you JD Ag dealer if they can tell you, or might give you a copy of the info from their manuals? Worst thing that can happen is they say no.

It appears there are three technical (service) manuals required for the 2555 (It appears the same manuals are for the 2355, 2555, 2755, 2955. 3155), TM4434, TM4436, TM4436S. Maybe someone with one of the other models may see this and look in their manuals, if they have them. The three JD manuals are about $525, not $50 like the I&T one, I would expect they have more details then the I&T one.

What you need is to read the John Deere tech manual because you're asking about a specific installation procedure. I've not done brakes so I can't comment off the cuff. I'll check my manual and see if I can help you.

I considered that option, (hitting up the local dealer service department) and it's still on the table. At least the part about looking through the right
manual. Assuming they would have that. As for asking questions, the problem I find in that is simply this; there are at least three small town dealerships
within an hour drive from me. All owned by the same conglomerate. None of them have a wealth of experienced help, and often not much of that. In most cases
when I have an oddball question concerning something about an older tractor I have much better luck drawing from the pool of knowledge here than at those
dealerships. In too many of those cases the tractor is older than the person I'm talking to. What I get most often is something like Yeah, the guy you need
to talk to is old so and so, but he's not here any more.

Yes, I found that out. My I&T manual simply says to install the piston. That left me wondering just how that's expected work out. I called the closest dealer (the one that's supplying all the parts for this) and spoke with "someone" in service who couldn't tell me much about anything. He suggested I call one of their sister stores and inquire there. I decided at that point to pass on that option. I ordered a digital download of TM4434. That told me basically the same thing as the I&T except it mentioned when installing the piston to drive it until it hit the stops. Evidently that's all there is to it. No measurements involved.

I was able to get that much of it together on Friday, but unfortunately the new disc we ordered came with a SNAFU. Instead of a brake disc we got a wear sleeve with a brake disc part number on the package. The right part is now expected on Tuesday. When I get that I will take some quick measurements to see if all of this looks like it will fit together and work. I will know more at that point.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back