300 distributor driveshaft

pomester

I have an International 300 utility - it's a forklift, some factory conversion. Recently had an issue with the distributor gearing wearing out till finally the gears started slipping and the tractor stopped running.

I've replaced both the gear on the distributor and also the distributor driveshaft and I am back in business.

I am wondering how this assembly is lubricated. It doesn't seem to get any splash from the engine. There's the slotted threaded plug in the side of the housing, is an oil level to be maintained in there? There's no seal and the level would leak down to the bottom of the driveshaft bushing in short order, if it didn't leak out the tachometer drive.

I lubed all the bearing parts with engine assembly lube when I put it back together, but is seems like the should be some way to periodically refresh.

Thanks
David

mvphoto110905.jpg

mvphoto110904.jpg

Once a year or so, you are supposed to take that plug out, screw in a grease zerk, pump some grease in, and swap the plug back in place. The reason for the plug is to keep people from over-greasing it and causing a problem.

This should be covered in the Owner's Manual, along with the rest of the lubrication instructions.

exactly... but only one pump and very thin grease. that white engine assembly grease would be just the thing to use.

Exactly as Jim and rustred describe.

Be sure to GO EASY with the grease.....pumping in too much forces grease into places it doesn't belong!

Thanks guys. The tractor is running happily for the moment. I guess I'll invest in an owner's manual. I have the shop manual, but it doesn't address the situation.

(quoted from post at 04:35:28 10/19/23) Thanks guys. The tractor is running happily for the moment. I guess I'll invest in an owner's manual. I have the shop manual, but it doesn't address the situation.

Sure glad this came up, I've owned my 300U for 35+ years and didn't know this, going to get the grease out tomorrow!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back