3010 John Deere lost all reverse gears

jdfamily

Was doing some mowing with my 3010 gas yesterday. I finished and was going to back the unit
up and did not have any of the reverse gears! What is going on? I have never worked on a
3010 tractor. Where do I start to repair this and how difficult is it I am not a skilled
mechanic. Thanks.

I am sure there will be others with better answers. Place the tractor on a level surface and block the wheels so it cannot roll. Look on the right side of the tractor as you set in the seat in front of the rear wheel on the side of the transmission. Engine off move the shifter from a forward gear to a reverse position. You should see a rod move following the shifter motion of movement into reverse, is it unhooked? If so that is your problem. If you see no matching movement then you will have to pull the cowling ..tin covering.. above the dash and look to see if the rod disconnected from a lever on the shifter or if something broke. If the rod moves a lever going into the transmission something has broke inside which sounds like that is over your pay grade.

At least you should be able to tell if its shifting into reverse or not , as that the big thing here. Is there a gear grind or something or just a floppy shifter ???

The problem may be quite simple in concept. Deere in 1961 had a nice system of shifting through the gears with a synchronized setup with that one shifter up on the right side of the instrument panel. That being said, there are a lot of linkages and rods on the right side of the tractor which may wear and cause problems with the proper shifting of the transmission into forward and reverse. This is probably not a problem with the transmission internally but just may be an adjustment issue. Thank goodness, these tractors were designed in a former age when things were a lot simpler than the computer-controlled junk of today. The tech manual for your tractor will outline the troubleshooting and adjustment and may solve your problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back