3020 Electrical Starting Issues

1965 John Deere 3020 Diesel. Due to issues, I bought brand new batteries and brand new cables. With the key off, I go to complete the battery hookup and the terminal and cable arch and then the starter solenoid spins really fast but the tractor doesn't turn over.

I remove the cable I have been holding and it stops.

What gives? Bad key? Bad Solenoid? I figured I have eliminated low voltage by having new and freshly charged batteries with brand new 0 gauge cable and new, tight connectors.

Should I replace the solenoid? Key? Or, are there other suggestions?

Sounds as if starter solenoid internal washer is stuck to lugs. Lightly rap solenoid with a small hammer & touch battery cable clamp to battery post

(quoted from post at 09:38:19 03/07/22) 1965 John Deere 3020 Diesel. Due to issues, I bought brand new batteries and brand new cables. With the key off, I go to complete the battery hookup and the terminal and cable arch and then the starter solenoid spins really fast but the tractor doesn't turn over.

I remove the cable I have been holding and it stops.

What gives? Bad key? Bad Solenoid? I figured I have eliminated low voltage by having new and freshly charged batteries with brand new 0 gauge cable and new, tight connectors.

Should I replace the solenoid? Key? Or, are there other suggestions?

Has it ever worked with the current stater and solenoid installed?

If it HAS and only have been doing this since you "fixed" it likely there's a wiring error.

KmybqTe.jpg

Key # 27 is the (-) battery cable, from the (-) terminal on the LH battery to the large terminal on the starter solenoid.

Key # 28 is the (+) battery cable, from the (+) terminal on the RH battery to the terminal stud on the engine side of the starter "belly", with a jumper to the engine-side small terminal on the starter solenoid.

The proper connection of the two blue wires (-12V), the brown wire (+12 V), and the yellow (start) wire at the solenoid is CRITICAL.

I have seen starter solenoid contacts get stuck/burned/welded together that cause such a thing but hard to say from here...Also they get
stuck (or broken) so the electrical contacts close to spin the starter but they cant activate and extend to engage the starter drive to the
flywheel ???

John T

I will say that in the past it would start the tractor and the solenoid would keep spinning until I tapped on it with a wrench. So, looking like the solenoid needs to be replaced. BUT, I thought it was super strange that it start spinning when I attached the batteries with the key off. I'll double check the wiring with the diagram you included.

I read that low voltage and bad contacts lead to problems with the solenoid because the lower the voltage, the higher the amps and, thus, heat. I was hoping that new batteries and cables would help eliminate the low voltage issue but I may have a residual problem of having a ruined solenoid.

If the solenoid was hanging and keeping the starter spinning before, I would be changing it before hooking up new batteries and cables. I would also question the starter motor as having it spinning with the engine running is not good for a starter.

(quoted from post at 12:49:33 03/07/22) I will say that in the past it would start the tractor and the solenoid would keep spinning until I tapped on it with a wrench. So, looking like the solenoid needs to be replaced. BUT, I thought it was super strange that it start spinning when I attached the batteries with the key off. I'll double check the wiring with the diagram you included.

I read that low voltage and bad contacts lead to problems with the solenoid because the lower the voltage, the higher the amps and, thus, heat. I was hoping that new batteries and cables would help eliminate the low voltage issue but I may have a residual problem of having a ruined solenoid.

If you DO need to replace the solenoid be SURE to get EXACTLY the correct replacement part.

It is unique in that it is 24 Volts AND the coil is isolated from the "frame" of the solenoid.

Installing a generic 24 Volt solenoid that does NOT have the coil isolated will result in unpleasant problems!

Indeed its possible low voltage and higher amps can cause solenoid contacts to burn and stick/weld together and once burned and pitted they
are likely to fail. Thats a special solenoid for the Deere 24 volt systems be sure to get the right replacement and while at it remove clean
n wire brush each n every battery and solenoid connection........to avoid line voltage drop. Ive had many a solenoid or low voltage cause the
starter to spin but NOT engage the drive to the flywheel...FollowTx Jims advice

John T

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back