350 utility belt change

Slow lane 49

New User
A belt change should be an easy task, right? Not on this tractor. My tractor had already been converted to an alternator. Wasn't done well, so the alternator stuck out too far to close the hood side. I made a new mount. Moved the adjusting bracket from the pump up to the stat housing. Now to figure out the belt. Used some fuel hose to measure the length. Tractor supply has a large selection of belts by size. They go in 1" increments, so I bought a couple. Now to change the belt. The alt belt is behind the crank belt. Figured I had to pull fan and water pump pulley to get it off. No room. Pulled grill and radiator. Got the pump pulley unbolted. Won't come off with belt on. So I guess you have to just pry the belt off. That old belt refused. Only choice now is pull water pump. Did that and got the alt belt changed. Is this the best way? Seems wrong to go through that to change a belt. Thought about replacing the crank belt. Even with the front hyd pump shaft unbolted, there wasn't enough room between the pulley and axle mounting cradle to pull the belt out. Maybe a soft new belt could squeeze through? That old belt looks like it will last a few more years so it is staying on.
With the bracket setup I used a 1/2" x32" belt for the alt. A 32.5" would've been better. The alt just touches the valve cover. Maybe some more tweaking will make everything clear better. I think a 33" might have the alt hit the hood side. Pics show before the belt, but that's pretty much the final position.

Attachments

• 20240218_110858.jpg
    20240218_110858.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 20240218_111733.jpg
    20240218_111733.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240218_111752.jpg
    20240218_111752.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Good sir, the threads you see around the front of the fan pulley allow the pulley to be screwed apart to widen the groove to let the belt be removed from the bottom crank pulley. Then screwed back together to tension the belt. There is a set screw that turns down into one of the grooves to lock it from screwing during operation. The large threads do rust up and can be very difficult to loosen. Here is another post addressing this. Post with more adj. pulley info
It would help you move into the “faster lane” if you asked here first. I am sure someone recommended you acquire some repair manuals for your machine. Definitely would have saved you some time on this. :oops: Make sure while you have the fan and water pump out to free up that pulley and the thread. Applying anti-seize to the threads is an optimal idea! I also have never experienced it but I agree the front driven hydraulic pump adds a degree of difficulty to changing the fan belt on your tractor.

Pulley comes apart. Cool. Never seen that before. I did a lot of thread cleaning and anti-sieze. This was one thing in a long series of fixing things. I'm lucky to get one day off a week in winter. No time to stop. I know I should get a manual, but usually it's more fun to figure it out. Makes it easier to remember. Once in a while I do it wrong. But I got it done.
In case you are curious about my name. 1949 Chevy 3100, 250 L6, stock 4spd, and 4.10 rear. With 31" tires I'm doing 3000rpm at 62mph. Daily driver.

Attachments

• 20240219_172358.jpg
    20240219_172358.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
Neat old truck, I’m afraid I would have to give in and trade up to something a little better for my daily 70 mile trips here in frigid Minne-sno-ta. I know they made do with those at one point but now we have other choices. I see either it or something else there likes to “mark” its spot.

as u say the alt. just touches the valve cover, that is good as a new belt always will stretch and can be tightened. looking at your bracket you should have another brace at the rear of the alternator on it. same as the original bracket was made. the way it is it has side pressure on it and it will crack as an alternator belt needs to be tight. is not like a gen, so it dont slip during charging. yes the water pump and generator used the ihc design of a split pulley system for tightening and changing belts. the only downfall is the threads like to seize if not lubed. that alt pulley is from something else.

as u say the alt. just touches the valve cover, that is good as a new belt always will stretch and can be tightened. looking at your bracket you should have another brace at the rear of the alternator on it. same as the original bracket was made. the way it is it has side pressure on it and it will crack as an alternator belt needs to be tight. is not like a gen, so it dont slip during charging. yes the water pump and generator used the ihc design of a split pulley system for tightening and changing belts. the only downfall is the threads like to seize if not lubed. that alt pulley is from something else.
Rr, that is very likely the original pulley. The x50 series 12 volt machines went to a one piece pulley and a a slotted top adjustment brace.
350U 12v generator diagram
To “pickup man” not sure if you saw the original generator bracket but I would call the “another brace” as described by rr; an ear so the lower bolt can go through it supporting it on both ends. The goal is to make modifications as good or better than the stock configuration. Both rr and myself know when your hopping on your machine and want to get a 4 hour or more job done out in the field, you don’t want any half ar$ed thing breaking on you.

My commute is only 10 miles. I drove it on a 900 mile trip a couple times in winter. Not too bad. It leaks out the valve cover. I put on an aluminum cover from a boat motor. It's either use silicone or go back to steel cover. The $300 black Toyota also leaks out the front seal. New toys keep taking my time. Like a tractor.
I realize this is hack. Don't know if you saw it, but the alt is upside down. To line up the pulley I had to put the threaded hole on bottom and cut out some of the big end on top. I don't even know it this alt works. Can't remember if I checked voltage when I had it running. If it does, you are right, it needs more bracing. Better to replace with a new one and all new brackets. At least I have the location set. Trying not to throw too much money and time at it until I make sure the tractor drives. When it does, it will spend its time as a tug and with a boom lifting things in my yard. Better than the last 30 years sitting by a shed. Any field work will be with a new owner. Or as a backup if my buddies Massey 65 ever goes down.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back