tom upton

New to Ford forum as first Ford I have ever owned other than a 9N I had years ago, so please forgive me for my ignorance on these tractors. I bought this thing at an auction for the loader and grapple bucket it has on it, and plan on taking it off and putting on another tractor I have. I didnt pay a lot for the tractor as it was listed as a non runner at the auction with transmission issues. All the fellows widow knew was it went ahead fine but wouldnt back up. Happened to it bout a year ago.
I had no issues getting it running but yes it has trans issues. Firstly I believe the shiftlever is out of whack because if you pull it right down it lurches ahead like it is in high gear? If you pull it up it does not really have any positive reverse or forward movement until you get into the higher gears, like maybe 5th or 6th, ( am not sure of the exact gear as I think what it says on shifter is out of whack?) It drives fine in I think all the higher gears. In looking at manual I am thinking of tightening up the one band? Does this seem like the correct place to start? Tach works on tractor and it only shows 2800 hours. Looking at wear parts on it I believe hours may be correct, so I am hoping some adjustments may make this thing useable again, but I have too many other projects to spend a lot of time on it.( meaning I really dont have the time to split tractor) I have a pretty good book on it that the fellows widow gave me, but Thinking there are fellows on here that could start me off in the right direction before I get in too deep.
Model number of tractor is 41205 and serial number is 31172 so I believe its a 63.

you really want the service manual and sos transmission supplement. IF the start safety switch has not been bypassed, it will not crank unless it is in park. So if you have a working safety switch the shift index is correct. Band adjustment is straight forward as well as fluid level checking. If your year is correct (63) and don't have red hash marks on the shift indicator (direct drive model) the sos is pretty good.

I have a 1963 row crop 4000 (and now also a 3000 SOS). It is possible all this one needs is a band adjustment. You do need the correct manual and a torque wrench. I had to adjust my 4000 a couple years ago when it started slipping a little in reverse. I purchased a model 871 that I guessed had a bad transmission, very little movement in any gear. I decided to go through the band adjustment process in the manual as that didn't really cost anything but some time. I was surprised when the transmission worked perfectly after the band adjustment. Read up on the transmission and have the correct oil and correct oil level. In my opinion they are a good transmission when working correctly and can give great service if taken care of. If this one survivied 50+ years it is not one with problems from the factory.

Procure the proper SOS service manual BEFORE working on your SOS.

Once you have read and understood the procedures to adjust the selector, adjust per the instructions.

Post back.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back