404 finiky lift arms

Moonshade

New User
I have a 1965 IH 404. I've been working on restoring it. The hydraulic arms are having an odd problem.

They will lift when the engine first starts with our without an attachment. I can lower the arms and they will stay put for as long as it's raised. The PTO engages and works like a champ.

The problem is that when I lower the arms I can't raise them again...reliably. I can move the lever all the way back and sometimes it will raise and sometimes it won't. Increasing throttle may sometimes cause it to raise and sometimes not. If I adjust the lever to the raised setting it will randomly raise when driving or stationary with the engine on.

I had a mower attached and dropped it too low and had to drive my sorry self back to park it with the mower dragging only for it to lift again when I was just about to switch it off about 10 minutes after I lowered it.

Changed filter and hy/trans fluid after draining the top and bottom plugs.

I'm not really sure where to go from here since it lifts strong when it decides to lift and it stays in position until I lower it. The only leak I have is a small drip on the left rear axle.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back