4040 John Deere won’t go in park

Eastexdirt

New User
First time 4040 owner here. I don’t see a cable but rods and yokes. Has anyone had trouble getting theirs in Park and what was found to be the issue?

Would help if you would tell us powershift, syncro/quadrange. If just rods, then a syncro/quad and the tractor locks two gears for Park. Is the shifting ok? Might need to adjust rods, but won't get into that without you having a manual. Is it everytime? Cab mount could have settled and throws the linkage off.

I'll guess your 4040 has Quad-range transmission & if I'm correct are you placing gear selection handle in "neutral position"" prior to attempting placing range control lever in "park"?

Would help if you would tell us powershift, syncro/quadrange. If just rods, then a syncro/quad and the tractor locks two gears for Park. Is the shifting ok? Might need to adjust rods, but won't get into that without you having a manual. Is it everytime? Cab mount could have settled and throws the linkage off.
Sorry about that. Yes it is a quad range, 16/6. And I did figure it out. I lubricated all of the linkage really well, placed the gear selector in neutral, and it went into park like it should. Operator station mounts looked good. HOWEVER, a new problem has surfaced. After driving around a few minutes the tractor stopped moving. The PTO also quit. Nothing worked, not even the steering. I let it sit a few minutes and everything worked fine. Drove it maybe another 100 yards and it slowly lost its pull and steering became hard again. I heard there is a screen somewhere around the hydraulic filter. I wonder if that could be causing my issue. Any ideas there?

I'll guess your 4040 has Quad-range transmission & if I'm correct are you placing gear selection handle in "neutral position"" prior to attempting placing range control lever in "park"?
That was part of my problem I think. Linkage was dry, tight and I don't think i was getting it in neutral. I replied in another comment about it losing forward, reverse, steering, and PTO. See that reply.

I suggest to change hyd filter & clean hyd oil sump screen. Screen retaining cap is located between hyd filter & rear axle housing. Another possibility is hex shaft that drives trans pump is having rounded corners. To access this hex shaft remove center link attaching bracket then remove hex cap that was hidden under bracket. Now using pliers pull shaft & inspect for possible rounded corners of hex about 2 ft in on shaft

I suggest to change hyd filter & clean hyd oil sump screen. Screen retaining cap is located between hyd filter & rear axle housing. Another possibility is hex shaft that drives trans pump is having rounded corners. To access this hex shaft remove center link attaching bracket then remove hex cap that was hidden under bracket. Now using pliers pull shaft & inspect for possible rounded corners of hex about 2 ft in on shaft
Thanks! I will give all that a try when I get home in about a week. Will report back on findings.

I had enough time to get the fluid drained and pull the screen. It had the nylon one. It did not have much friction material or metal on it at all but it had some jelly like stuff covering most of it. Oil was cloudy. Needed to be changed. The filter looked like it needed changing too. There was some particles in the filter housing. Did not have a filter on hand at the moment so put it back in after dumping the small particles out. Cleaned the screen really well and put the oil back in just to see if I could get it to move to get it up on level ground so I could get a good drain when I get a new filter, but it would not move at all. Guess I will change the filter and check the transmission shaft when I get home next time.

I had enough time to get the fluid drained and pull the screen. It had the nylon one. It did not have much friction material or metal on it at all but it had some jelly like stuff covering most of it. Oil was cloudy. Needed to be changed. The filter looked like it needed changing too. There was some particles in the filter housing. Did not have a filter on hand at the moment so put it back in after dumping the small particles out. Cleaned the screen really well and put the oil back in just to see if I could get it to move to get it up on level ground so I could get a good drain when I get a new filter, but it would not move at all. Guess I will change the filter and check the transmission shaft when I get home next time.
If the filter is full of water, it will not let the oil trough.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back