440i with 71 loader and pippen backhoe

Mike440i

New User
Hello, I've got a 1958 John Deere 440i, it has the 71 utility loader and an International Pippen 350 backhoe.
I have not been able to find any parts info for the pippen 350 hoe.
I need to rebuild cylinders, replace hoses,and get some welds done on that.

The model 71 loader:
Parts numbers for seal kits don't match anything available, obsolete per JD. It's the pre 1960 loader attachment. There was some discussion that the tilt cylinder seal kit for the 300B tractor loader are the same. Anybody have experience with that? The part # for the 71 bucket seal kit is AU11992 U
Seems like a somewhat common combination of attachments for this machine, hopefully somebody has experience with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501_212122_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_212122_Gallery.jpg
    964 KB · Views: 27
The loader looks like my IH 3000 loader. You can do a giggle search on the part number and add hydraulic seal and maybe find something. Plenty of ebay shops carry this stuff. If you take it to a hydraulic shop they will measure it with calipers and probably pull one off the shelf.

They will be common cylinder parts. Once you figure out what style they are and how they come apart, any hydraulic shop can get you seals and o rings.

if you went to a JD dealer, then you would have to find an 80 year old parts department employee that would have any idea what you are talking about. Same for IH dealers as well. Back in the day they might find it on a microfiche. Good luck.

Hello, I've got a 1958 John Deere 440i, it has the 71 utility loader and an International Pippen 350 backhoe.
I have not been able to find any parts info for the pippen 350 hoe.
I need to rebuild cylinders, replace hoses,and get some welds done on that.

The model 71 loader:
Parts numbers for seal kits don't match anything available, obsolete per JD. It's the pre 1960 loader attachment. There was some discussion that the tilt cylinder seal kit for the 300B tractor loader are the same. Anybody have experience with that? The part # for the 71 bucket seal kit is AU11992 U
Seems like a somewhat common combination of attachments for this machine, hopefully somebody has experience with it.
Call Baum Hydraulics, they may have something not shown in their catalog online. If you disassemble it and identify and measure up the sealing parts (Baum's online catalog has some info to use in identifying sealing part types) they can be matched up. JL McBride is another place some have good luck with for finding seal kits, again it may be nessacary to call. Or take it to a shop that repairs hydraulic cylinders.

Gotta keep in mind this is low-production 65-ish year old machinery. "Obsolete" is to be expected. We're spoiled by companies that are still supporting 65 year old farm tractors.

I expect you probably want to have parts on hand before you take things apart. Unfortunately that's probably not an option.

Thanks for the information, the local guy had no problem finding the right seals. But yes when I can I like to have parts on hand before disassembling.

So I've learned that the pippen 350 came on an International 350 tractor, late 1950s as well. So I'm may find more info going that route.

The local hydraulic shop got me a rebuild kit for the dipper cylinder and it went together fine. Had to cut the vee rings for the solid piston and stagger them on assembly. Greased it all and used a modified 2 liter bottle to get the lips past the thread and in to the bore.

I've got to get this hydraulic system figured out. The touchomatic doesn't seem to be disengaging when not in use. So I guess it's pumping full time? I think the pin is seized on the back part of the rocks haft. I don't know what that part is called, it has a linkage that attaches to the up and down control for the 3pt hitch (the float control?)

The front mounted pump powers the hoe and bucket and there's a diverter valve to switch between the two implements.

The front bucket slowly tilts down, seemingly like an packing issue, but in both? Is there a way to check where the pressure might be going? see how much pressure the pump is building?
Do the gearbox and the rear differential have a shared oil cavity or are they sealed separately?

I've got to rebuild the carb and the sediment bowl/ fuel shutoff.
Figure out why there's Grey sludge in the radiator but not in the motor oil.
Ok ill stop with the questions haha,
I think I've found enough problems to keep me busy for a bit 😅

The gray stuff in the radiator sounds like the stop leak that comes in a tube.Using too much or not getting the tractor hot enough after you dump it in will let it settle into the bottom.The bucket tilting down sounds like a packing on the end of one of the rods is leaking,letting the juice squirt from one end to the other.Because both sides are connected just one side failing will drain both pistons the same.We still have a lot of old Pippen hoes around here,always saw them on Internationals and Fords.The Fords with Pippen hoes usually had Lord loaders.If they had the Ford hoe,(more expensive) they generally had Wagner loaders.(also more expensive)Of course those were all set up by the local dealers,those just seemed to be the popular combos in my area.

I've got some seals on the way, if they work I'll post up part #s.

Might be a bit though as there's a setback, I've got to replace some bearings in the gearbox. I'm a mechanic but this my first experience with a tractor.
the gear shafts have play in them and are making a racket. At this point the gears look good so the only way to keep the shafts from pushing away from each other under load is, to do the job to prevent a catastrophic failure. 😐
Seems like quite a job, getting the attachments off, then splitting it.
The touchomatic is staying engaged in the up position no matter where the lever is, but under full pressure in one position. So I'll probably go through that too.
Is there anything helpful I should know about getting through this? Techniques or areas to pay close attention to? Things that would be considered an upgrade or improvement to do while it's all apart?
I know people like pictures but I usually am to dirty to handle a camera but I'll try to catch some.

There's play in that coupler where the reverser would be.

Attachments

• 20240509_164514.jpg
    20240509_164514.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240509_165720.jpg
    20240509_165720.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20240509_164518.jpg
    20240509_164518.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back