584 IH High gear shift linkage

wwoodrow

I needed to put tractor in high gear and could not get it to shift over. I finally sprayed the linkage close to where it passes into the transmission case and then used a wrench to leverage it . It has shifted fine since doing this. Since the tractor has seldom been put in road gear would it be safe to assume that this issue was outside the transmission housing and not due to internal wear but most likely " frozen up " at the shift linkage outside the case due to not being used much. I assume the little ball joint linkage could hang up if not shifted more than a few times every decade or so?

I needed to put tractor in high gear and could not get it to shift over. I finally sprayed the linkage close to where it passes into the transmission case and then used a wrench to leverage it . It has shifted fine since doing this. Since the tractor has seldom been put in road gear would it be safe to assume that this issue was outside the transmission housing and not due to internal wear but most likely " frozen up " at the shift linkage outside the case due to not being used much. I assume the little ball joint linkage could hang up if not shifted more than a few times every decade or so?
Yes most likely just a bit of rust so keeping it lubed would be a good idea. My 584 doesn't get used a lot either and has loader problems

Yes most likely just a bit of rust so keeping it lubed would be a good idea. My 584 doesn't get used a lot either and has loader problems
Thanks. Well my loader does fine except for two leaks at the quick connects on the control block. Im going to change o rings and hope it stops. Good old tractor that is only used to put out hay and occasional bush hogging and disking.

Thanks. Well my loader does fine except for two leaks at the quick connects on the control block. Im going to change o rings and hope it stops. Good old tractor that is only used to put out hay and occasional bush hogging and disking.
The 584 I have was given to me by a customer. I us to fix it for a guy but 3 or 4 years ago he called and asked me if I want it and I told him I didn't have the $$ to buy it and he said no if you can come get it, it's yours and then he filled in the blanks. He told me it got hit by lightning and caught fire and he figured it would cost him more to have it hauled in for scrap then it would be worth so he gave it to me. I now have around $1000 in it fixing all that was wrong but yet need a lot more to get it up to 100%

Old is right on the froze up deal. I would get it oiled up and then occasionally shift into high range so it stays loosened up. Fist gear in high range is not a fast gear to drive in for travelling from shed to field and such. I don't know that I would want to have balews of hay hanging off the front bucket and do that if it didn't have a lot of counter weight on the rear. Also keep in mind that shaft the lever turns to shift is only a 3/4 shaft with an o ring groove out of that so closer to a 5/8 at that spot. It is still supposed to have a strength of some thing like 150or so foot pounds to twist it off. On our 574 we have twisted a couple off. To fix that you have to pull the lid under the seat. They are a rather mickey mouse arrangement for a shifting mechanism.

Old is right on the froze up deal. I would get it oiled up and then occasionally shift into high range so it stays loosened up. Fist gear in high range is not a fast gear to drive in for travelling from shed to field and such. I don't know that I would want to have balews of hay hanging off the front bucket and do that if it didn't have a lot of counter weight on the rear. Also keep in mind that shaft the lever turns to shift is only a 3/4 shaft with an o ring groove out of that so closer to a 5/8 at that spot. It is still supposed to have a strength of some thing like 150or so foot pounds to twist it off. On our 574 we have twisted a couple off. To fix that you have to pull the lid under the seat. They are a rather mickey mouse arrangement for a shifting mechanism.
Im glad you told me that. Ive had to pull the lid once already for another issue and I would love to avoid doing it again.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back