60 steering valve

There isn"t any? Only a gasket unless you mean between the pedestal and worm housing.

If this is what you mean then what I do is support the from end so the wheels are off the ground then add shims until it turns freely without the assistance of the Power Steering (Tractor is shut off).

If you still have the old shim you can measure it and start there. It will vary so I don"t know if there is a set number. I buy gasket material from an auto parts store and cut out my own as I need them.

Thanks for the reply.
Been having trouble since I had the pedestal apart to fix oil leak, replaced O-rings etc.
I was thinking, maybe the worm drive was meshing too tight with the steering gear.
Any ideas?
It worked fine before. I also tried adjusting the actuating valve for more flow, but has not helped much, and did have the front off the ground.

I rotated my steering gear 180 degrees so I could have an unused side of the gear towards the worm. This got rid of a little catch I had.

Other ideas:
* Make sure Quill is full of grease. Not sure if you have a pipe plug or grease zerk already there but it takes around 3-4 tubes of grease to fill.

* If you take the Steering Worm Housing off can you grab the front wheels and turn?

* With Front Wheels on the ground check your gap between the Steering Gear and the shims (Washers) under it. Should be between 4 and 20 thou. If it isn't the you can remove one Shim (Washer)at a time to obtain. I forget how tight the cap screw is supposed to be but it's around +200 ft/lbs I believe.

* Add shims (Gaskets) between Steering Work Housing and Pedestal.

* Steering Spindle Quill can be rotated cw/ccw slightly by lossening the 5 large bolts then using a brass punch and hitting the flat area(s) on the front of the quill to rotate it a little in the direction you want. I always marked mine and reassembled back to where they were so I have never had to do this before.

Might have to adjust it (pressure) back down again if your front end "Flutters" when turning (Once this other issue is resolved).

I had time yesterday to get back to working on the P.S.
Took the steering valve off and as you suggested,
I could turn the front wheels, without any binding. Luckily I had another steering valve gasket/ shim to use, part no.F1706R. Put it on, and seems to work fine now. Thank you for your help on this.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back