600/800 series Power steering pump

Joe_R

I'm in need of a power steering pump for my Ford 600 series. Can't find any good used ones, so I dug deep into my wallet and started looking at new ones. I see two different part numbers. Does anyone know the difference between these pumps? Thank you.

C0NN3A674H and C3NN3A674C​

Since the two numbers that you found start with C0 and C3 respectively, the first one was first used in 1960, and the second one was first used in 1963. The second one is most likely the superseding part number when the design changed slightly in 1963. New Holland no longer sells that pump under either part number, and most after market vendors reference one or more of the various superseded part numbers, and even though their pump is a "will fit" replacement, it is probably not exactly identical to either of the original part numbers.

But those part numbers are for the later style pump that had the reservoir up on top of the pump body. The 600 series factory power steering had the earlier style pump with the integrated reservoir around the body of the pump and sticking out to the rear of the pump body. I don't have anything that says what the original part number was for that early style pump, but the current part number is C3NN3A691B.

So if the pump you are replacing is the later style with the reservoir up on top of the pump body, you should be safe going with an aftermarket pump that claims to be a replacement for either of those part numbers that you posted. If it is the earlier style with the reservoir integrated to the pump body and sticking out toward the rear from the pump body, then try to finds one that claims to be a replacement for part number C3NN3A691B.

I'm in need of a power steering pump for my Ford 600 series. Can't find any good used ones, so I dug deep into my wallet and started looking at new ones. I see two different part numbers. Does anyone know the difference between these pumps? Thank you.

FYI here is the old-timey printed parts manual pages for the part numbers you referenced. It says C3NN3A674C replaced CONN3A674H so apparently they are compatible. Also has serial number cutover and I hope you meant 601 series.

Ford601PS_PumpIPB.jpg

Since the two numbers that you found start with C0 and C3 respectively, the first one was first used in 1960, and the second one was first used in 1963. The second one is most likely the superseding part number when the design changed slightly in 1963. New Holland no longer sells that pump under either part number, and most after market vendors reference one or more of the various superseded part numbers, and even though their pump is a "will fit" replacement, it is probably not exactly identical to either of the original part numbers.

But those part numbers are for the later style pump that had the reservoir up on top of the pump body. The 600 series factory power steering had the earlier style pump with the integrated reservoir around the body of the pump and sticking out to the rear of the pump body. I don't have anything that says what the original part number was for that early style pump, but the current part number is C3NN3A691B.

So if the pump you are replacing is the later style with the reservoir up on top of the pump body, you should be safe going with an aftermarket pump that claims to be a replacement for either of those part numbers that you posted. If it is the earlier style with the reservoir integrated to the pump body and sticking out toward the rear from the pump body, then try to finds one that claims to be a replacement for part number C3NN3A691B.
Thank you for all the information. Yes, mine is the vertical style with the reservoir on the top. So, either one of those part number pumps should be fine for me to use. thank you once more for all the information.

FYI here is the old-timey printed parts manual pages for the part numbers you referenced. It says C3NN3A674C replaced CONN3A674H so apparently they are compatible. Also has serial number cutover and I hope you meant 601 series.

View attachment 5861
Yes 01 series. Thank you so much for the diagram and part numbers. It will come in handy for any other parts I should need to cross over.

I see one on FB MP. I know nothing about it & am not connected in any way!
Thank you. I once had one of those horizontal pumps on my 961. The one I'm working on now is a vertical pump with the reservoir on the top. From the other threads on this post, I should be good to purchase either pump numbers I was looking at. But I'll have to do is dig deep in my pockets to buy one.

Yes 01 series. Thank you so much for the diagram and part numbers. It will come in handy for any other parts I should need to cross over.
A couple of years ago I bought a Ford 960 tractor with power steering. The pump leaked fluid from where the reservoir attached to the pump. It looks like the pump in Andy's post.

In trying to solve me problems I did quite a bit of research and ended up even more confused. It appears that aftermarket rebuild kits are available for the pump--if you can find the right one. Trying to cross reference anything by part number is a nightmare. The same pumps (and ones that were the same except for different lids on the reservoirs) were also used on a variety of Ford, Mercury, Studebaker, and other makes of cars into the 1960's. The automotive part numbers were slightly different because they passed through a different supply chain.

C0NN3A674H and C3NN3A67 you will find two that relate to mid-1950's power steering. The 1957 manual shows the 600 and 800 series using one type of pump and the 700 and 900 series using the type you describe.​

Do a seach for NTC MANUAL LIBRARY. In the Service/Troubleshooting section you will find PDF copies of manuals for the power steering used on 1956 600 and 800 series and another for 1957 700 and 900 series. You describe your pump as the one shown in the 1957 700 and 900 series.

Check out the thread at this link, it lists a cardone pump that you can get at an auto parts store.

Power Steering didn't come out until the '01 Series Models as standard equipment. There was a Power Steering Kit offered for the 700 & 900 Series Models but I couldn't find one for the 600 & 800 Series Models. The I&T F0-20 Service Manual has a chapter on the power steering units.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD 700 & 900 POWER STEERING KIT  - PG 1.gif
    FORD 700 & 900 POWER STEERING KIT - PG 1.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • I&T F0-20 Service Manual.jpg
    I&T F0-20 Service Manual.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 22.jpeg
    I & T FO-20 MANUAL - PG 22.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back