620 John Deere crankshaft tolerances

Fidlstyks

New User
I have a 620 and have some problems, maybe the pulley side main is out .
I bought this "as is", at an auction.
I changed the oil and dug out the crankcase before adding new oil. In the bottom were these little steel bits. I know bits and what broken out pieces look like. They do not have the look of broken out appearance. That look i am familiar with, has a mating type surface of a fractured look. These are smooth. They are not concave as a piston ring would look, not fractured like a gear tooth would appear. They are like 1/8" diameter by 3/8" long.
Being new to posting here, I do not see where to add pictures..I have 3 videos of the damage.
The next debacle is that there was an amount of brass chips all around the top part of the main bearing housing, above the crankshaft. The entire concave channel had this. These are little chips like. Also there was a strip almost like shim stock, a very thin piece of brass. Half an inch by 3 inches.
Next I measured the crank play-lift. I also need to set the endplay, advise?
To check crank movement, I put a block under the side of the pulley with a pry bar lifted the pulley. And with an indicator on the crank shaft nearest the bearing housing. The crank rose up .004.
The pulley near the frame side would rise .017. Subtract the crank rise, means it moved about .013.
I know someone will say you can't check the crank with the pulley on, but the measurement on the crank side of the bearing should be accurate, as the pulley rdes on the crankshaft. It would surely be a little different on the out side of the housing and I am working on pulling the pulley.
I was just hoping someone might comment on a measurement of vertical movement on a crankshaft. I read and under stand there is a clearance in the bushing type bearings. That should result in small movement of the crankshaft. How much movement is tolerable is the question.
I understand the only way to know is to tear it all down. Just looking for a reference. The people I know who had a 620 with loose bearings said they could pick up the pulley and it would be very loose and still was running. I know what main bearing rumble sounds like, but have not fired this one up yet.
I am into it right, so can afford to repair it and do all of my own work. .
Thanks for any insights. Matt
[/img:1829ad0e50][/b]

There are O'rings in the oil supply where the bearings bolt on . Too often the O'rings are either missed. Or they shift and plug the oil passage .
drill and tap for 1/8' pipe thread . Then look in the decorative lamp section of home depot. For the little bitty lengths of threaded tube. O'ring goes around the threaded 1/8' pipe .

I'm struggling a little to picture how you were measuring, but if your crank only has 0.004 up and down play in it your main
bearings are probably just fine. Factory spec would have been in the 0.003-0.005 neighborhood.

Well the dial indicator is mounted on the crank case gasket cover area, the point is on the crankshaft as close to the pulley end as I could get it.
So when I pry up and down with a bar on the end of the crankshaft, the crank only rises .004.
The question wis, going past the crank, all around the valley of main bearing case side cover, there were these brass grindings, more like chips. Where would they have came from?
This forum does not like my camera.
I posted videos on Facebook if you can look in the John Deere 2 cylinder club Facebook group, with like 67,000 members, look at the pics and videos.
Of course no one replies there.

Don't know how you are trying to add pictures. Are you trying to paste pictures in using the Img button? You cannot paste pictures into posts here. To post pictures look down the page a bit from the box where you type a reply, and you will see a bar that says ''Upload Photos/Videos''. Below that is a button that says ''Choose Files''. Click on that button to go to your device where you can search the files in your device (computer, tablet, phone) to find the picture you want post, select your picture, then click the ''Open'' button and the program will upload that picture to your post. There is a size limit of about 7 MB of pictures/video per post (not per thread). That can be one picture or the total of several pictures in a post. This is the same in Modern and Classic views. Some cell phone pictures need to be reduced before they will post. And sometimes it takes a bit for them to upload, so don't hurry the process and use the preview button to see that the picture(s) is there before hitting submit.

mvphoto111220.jpg

No idea on what your bits are but when I tore my H down I found a few pieces in the crankcase. Broken unworn piston rings, a governor weight pin with
the cotters installed and flared, some steel balls with an oil change and a few small gear teeth. The balls and teeth didn't match up with any parts
of the tractor.

I found your post on FB. I attached a screen grab of one of your videos to show others the large piece of metal you found in
there. I don't see how that could have come from the bearing itself. If anything, it does look like it could be part of the oil
seal (AF2659R) shown in the parts manual.
cvphoto165755.png

Glen, that passage that you refer to is
threaded and ready to accept the lamp
tubing. The tubing has to be the proper
length so it won't interfere with the
main bearing housing.

Also, are the bits you find metal for sure or could they be old hard rubber also from the oil seal?

That is interesting. Picture shows where I think some of it came from, my farm tenant had a plastic bag pulled into his oil pickup. Kid's, this stuff been in there a long time.
mvphoto111236.jpg

Thankyou, they are metal. I did not grind test if steel, hard steel or cast iron. But for sure, no piston ring ever goes back far enough to fall out. If one was far enough back, it would be further back than the crankshaft-connecting rod would allow. As in impossible for it to be a piston ring, without castostrophic failure.

I think you are showing that the brass was on the inside of the main bearing housing, not the outside where the oil seal is. The
original bearing would have been aluminum, but could have been replaced in a previous overhaul. I would say somehow the bearing
got bad enough it sucked part of that oil seal through there, or piece that size some how came off of the bearing itself. Either
way I think you are going to have to pull that bearing housing to figure out what you have going on.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back