'65 3000 Ford diesel universal temp sender and gauge

Any recommendations? It appears that Ford hung a temperature sender on a wire and built the tractor around it. lol I have put many an aftermarket temp sender and gauge on old hot rods. Can I do the same on my old Ford tractor?

Thank you, FOT

I don't know how accurate the reading from
this location would be but there is a 1/4 in
pipe plug on the intake manifold - back by #3
cylinder.

They make adapters that go inline with the radiator hose that have a fitting for a temp sensor. This one even comes with a wire to ground the housing so the temperature sender isn't isolated from ground:

2283_26.jpg

Not a good idea. If it's put in the top hose you won't see anything until the thermostat opens. Of course if it sticks closed
you won't be warned. Putting it in the bottom hose is a no-go as well because that's the coolest point in the system.

Tractors that old did not come with the plug there from the factory. It wasn't until they started putting cabs on tractors that they started drilling and tapping that hole for heater cores.

To the OP, you can drill and tap your intake manifold for 3/8 NPT between the first two or the last two intake manifold attaching bolts and get an accurate coolant temp reading. Going to 3/8 will allow you to use a mechanical gauge with the proper adaptor. There's plenty of material there to go up to 1/2 NPT as well if you'd like.

School tractor.
They put the foil tag on the valve cover on these.
Unit number 4K30B
10/74?

cvphoto161036.jpg

Hard to get my phone in there for a photo.
Square head plug between the two rearmost manifold bolts.

cvphoto161037.jpg

Thank all of you for the tips and help. I should be able to get something going from here. Cannot afford a crispy tractor. lol

F O T

Yep, that's where they started putting them. I'd bet good money however that you would not find it on a 1965 model, at least from the factory.

3000 parts book does not show a pipe plug, however a 3600 parts book does. Also, from factory those plugs were 3/8 NPT. From the looks of yours it appears to be more like 1/4 NPT.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back