656 engine question

Mike Fitz

I have a 656 that the frost plug in the front of the block rusted through, I don't have the proper tools or the time right now to take the tractor apart to fix this so I took it to my IH dealer. They called today and said the whole front of the engine has to come off to change this, that much I knew, thats why I decided to have them do this, but they now say that the cam shaft, lifters, pushrods, oil pump, and distributor have to come out too as the cam and cam gear are one piece, I've never seen this in a motor before, is this true? All other cam drive setups I've ever seen the shaft and gear were separate pieces.
Thanks Mike

(quoted from post at 20:55:13 11/14/22) I have a 656 that the frost plug in the front of the block rusted through, I don't have the proper tools or the time right now to take the tractor apart to fix this so I took it to my IH dealer. They called today and said the whole front of the engine has to come off to change this, that much I knew, thats why I decided to have them do this, but they now say that the cam shaft, lifters, pushrods, oil pump, and distributor have to come out too as the cam and cam gear are one piece, I've never seen this in a motor before, is this true? All other cam drive setups I've ever seen the shaft and gear were separate pieces.
Thanks Mike

https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...56875BD6/EBD86496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6

IH C263 engine camshaft parts breakdown.

Yep they are . BUT they can be a bear to pull off . Can it be done yep i have done several over the years on a C 263/C291 /301 . It comes down to these young pups don't have a clue of what they are doing and creating more work then needed.

tractor vet, does that mean everything has to come out as Mike Fitz says, or is there a shortcut? If there is a shortcut, what is it?

If the gear doesn't come off the cam, and the cam has to come out at least partway to get at the plug, seems logical that everything that engages the cam also has to come out.

Thanks for the replies, I thought it would be really strange to build a motor that way, the 656 is my loader tractor so I'll fix it even though it will probably cost more than the tractor is worth, and has never been a tractor that really appeals to me but does do it's job and is paid for.
Mike

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back