656 Farmall vs International

M Nut

Is there any difference between a 656 rowcrop that says International on the side of the hood vs one that says Farmall?

AFAIK, the long emblem on the hood was always International. The Farmall models just say Farmall above the 656 badge. The high utilities say either Hi Clear or Row Crop above the 656 badge. I have one of both. Don't think the regular utilities say anything on the badge except 656, but I don't have one to check. If the long emblem says Farmall it may have been changed in the last 55 years.

Attachments

• KIMG0585.JPG
    KIMG0585.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 103_1586.JPG
    103_1586.JPG
    690.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 103_1585.JPG
    103_1585.JPG
    870.2 KB · Views: 31
Bill, do own the one that says “International” on the hood above the engine and “row crop” on the badge above the number? If so do you partially straggle the transmission on that tractor? So the rear wheels bolts on to a center hub about a foot in diameter? Any that say Farmall will have flat operators deck and axles to adjust tread with and an adjustable front axle, true row-crop configuration.

Bill, do own the one that says “International” on the hood above the engine and “row crop” on the badge above the number? If so do you partially straggle the transmission on that tractor? So the rear wheels bolts on to a center hub about a foot in diameter? Any that say Farmall will have flat operators deck and axles to adjust tread with and an adjustable front axle, true row-crop configuration.
A 656 utility is the only utility tractor that has the gear shifter on the cowl and not between
operator's legs. Utilities have flange axles but bar axles were an option on some.

The one that says Hi Clear (gear drive) was bought by my Dad new in 1968. I bought the Row Crop (hydrostatic) used in the 90s. Both are set up the same, and have your feet straddling the transmission tunnel. Both also have the Farmall bar axles and 38" wheels on back, and swept back adjustable front axles like the utilities, just have longer front spindles than the utilities, to make it sit level with the 38" back tires. First picture is the Hi Clear tractor. Obviously different than the high clear models that Chisholm Ryder used. Second picture is Shiny, the Farmall model that was redone sometime with a 656 decal that doesn't have Farmall at all.

Attachments

• 2003-07-08 11.03.35.jpg
    2003-07-08 11.03.35.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Shiny at 2021 plow day.jpg
    Shiny at 2021 plow day.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 33
The highest number of 656 tractors that say “International” were utility tractors. I don’t know when but I believe sometime in 1969 or later the “International” side badges were used on all of them including the Farmall row crop models.
I have 3 Farmall 656 hydros, all late 1967 and early 1968. Total range of serial numbers is 517, between all 3. Every one has International on them, as do both high utilities.

I have 3 Farmall 656 hydros, all late 1967 and early 1968. Total range of serial numbers is 517, between all 3. Every one has International on them, as do both high utilities
Bill, good info so it must have been 67 when they added the 7-1256 that the name change was made. Our 655 was a 65 and it had “Farmall” on the side panels over the engine. In my other reply I was basing my choice of years off the -26 series, I knew they all were badged “International” and came out in ‘69 so I thought that was when the change was made. Your two tractors with the lower profile and swept back front axles are on the “utility platform” so yes they would have International on them.

Bill, good info so it must have been 67 when they added the 7-1256 that the name change was made. Our 655 was a 65 and it had “Farmall” on the side panels over the engine. In my other reply I was basing my choice of years off the -26 series, I knew they all were badged “International” and came out in ‘69 so I thought that was when the change was made. Your two tractors with the lower profile and swept back front axles are on the “utility platform” so yes they would have International on them.
didn't the first 656s have the old 706 style grille? All mine have the bar style, so maybe the badges were changed at the same time.

didn't the first 656s have the old 706 style grille? All mine have the bar style, so maybe the badges were changed at the same time.
Yes, I believe the one we had was a 65 and its grill looked like the propane one shown in the tractor data link I posted above. Cream color punched holes screen a little bigger then a 1/16”, alternating vertical high a low areas about an 1 1/4” wide.

Thanks for the information. Always something more to learn about!
Speaking strictly about the "FARMALL" row crop tractors, the difference is simply the age of the tractor.

IH introduced the 656 in 1965 with the same styling as the 706. At that time the tractors had the FARMALL emblem on the side of the hood.

When IH introduced the full 56 series in the fall of 1967, they switched to the 56 series styling with the INTERNATIONAL emblem on the side of the hood, and FARMALL moved down to the model emblem on the radiator side panel.

I don't think IH ever built an International 656 Utility in the "old" style. If they did it is a very rare tractor, only around 300 or so may have been built according to the serial number breakdown on tractordata.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back